39. Gaze upon the Darkness

AN:// Merry Christmas everybody....who's ready for the 2020 angst? ;)

-------

When the scream resounded a second time, Remy and Roman were ready to launch into action.

Sleep formed a whistle out of his Sand and blew into it...there was no sound.

For a few Seconds that is.

An alarm suddenly sounded and Guards started Marching up to the Gate. All ready in battle formation.

Anxiety raises a brow in confusion. "Why aren't they coming with you?"

Remy shakes his head. "I have Troops out there already; they're here for defense since I'm heading in. They won't go beyond the Gate unless I blow the whistle again- we really don't have time for this, are you coming with us or not?"

Morality steps up.

"I'm going, I have a feeling that person needs as much help as they can get"

Logic gives his own nod of assent.

"Well I'm sure as hell not letting you guys go alone-"

The Prince claps the Youngest Side gently on his shoulder, with poor attempt of a comforting smile. "Glad to see you're aboard Anxiety-"

"Hate to break it up but let's go ladies!"

At Sleep's behest they all slide down.

----

Beyond the Gate and in the Subconscious, Remy leads the way.

The forest is thick and dark green.

Nothing one would think amiss in a forest of all things, but at a closer look, the green was far too dark to be natural.

An eerie wind blows and shakes the leaves; it's dead quiet otherwise.

The Sides shiver slightly but they simply grit their teeth and press on.

Roman takes notice that the sole Aspect's Jacket is fully zipped up for once, the Sand having moved instinctively to cover its Master.

He side glances to the back, also noting that Anxiety's shadows have done something similar with his hoodie.

As for Patton and Logan in the middle, while they didn't have sentient abilities, behind glasses, their eyes were glowing. Each their respective shades of blue.

Taking a deep but silent inhale, The Prince grasps his Katana tighter. Flashes of his past nightmares flow across his mind's eye but he ignores them, here and now he would protect his friends. He won't let It happen again.

-----

There was a very clear distinction of where things had gone beyond wrong.

The dark leaves had suddenly become pitch black, the trees were gnarly and knotted, either already dead or on their way. The worst part-

The worst part was the Ink.

The goop, though it was no doubt the same creatures from before, had spread around the tree trunks, making creepy vien like webs. They scattered and spread over the poor plants, seemingly draining them of life.

Everyone was on guard. Nothing moved yet but all of them knew very well what the Sentient black blobs were capable of.

Still, they moved forward.

-----

It didn't take long for things to go from bad to worse. They had started finding pieces of armour.