44. May your sacrifice never be in vain

As promised, your angst.

Choo- choo! ;)

-----

The Tower was crumbling as black shadowy veins began spreading across the once ivory surface.

Ink like spiderwebs decorated almost every corner, pulsing, dripping and grabbing.

Some had managed to trap some unfortunate Emotions or Figments; infecting them leaving them drained, hollow and dead.

"Don't touch the webs!" Shouted Roman as he cut through one with a mighty swing of his Katana.

"No shit!" Clapped back Anxiety who was blasting a particularly active web with his Shadows.

"Ughh! I don't have freaking time for this!" Growled Sleep as he shoved past Roman. Throwing a hand up, he made one big circle; In an instant Dream Sand formed into the shape of a large and very sharp saw blade and cut the webs in the way.

The Sides glanced at each other before shrugging and following after Remy. The Aspect had shot out of the Maid's quarters in mad sprint and was currently running frantically throughout the main floor of the Tower.

Sleep skidded, almost slipping on an inky puddle. Tendrils of it tried to grab at his foot but before it could, Dream sand blasted it into non-existence.

The group pressed forward, with Remy muttering expletives under his breath as he did so. He swore loudly when they had to stop. "The elevators are covered in Ink, great. Perfect. Just what we freaking needed!" He facepalmed, groaning frustration. Pulling the same hand down his face he sighed, "We need to head to the Gate and looks like our best bet... is up the stairs"

His room.

----

The stairs were slippery.

Some were cracking and crumbling.

The railing didn't exist for some of it, having either fallen off or been torn and used as material for an Ink creature's deadly web.

Surprisingly, it was Anxiety who had given the "ok" for the group to follow the Guardian up the flight when the Aspect himself had pointed out the danger of the narrow passage and the possibility of an ambush. The Dark Personality had looked Remy in the eye, as best he could considering the shades,"we keep going. We'll cover you"

With quick nods of confirmation all around, the group shot up the stairs. Remy in the lead using his Sand in a form of half shield, batting away anything that came from in front of them. Roman was right behind, cutting down any that bypassed the shield; Logan and Patton took care of any that tried to grab the Prince. Leaving Anxiety to hold the rear, blasting away any beats that tried to catch up to them.

Up front, Sleep's door finally comes into view. An emergency passage to the Gate had been installed in the room the night the Guardian had created the Sand Tsunami. Stemming from an idea he requested when he was high out of his mind on FG's anti-coffee and made possible with a snap of Roman's fingers.

Remy swallows thickly, hoping to any and every deity that his sinking gut feeling was wrong and that the girls made it and were waiting for them on the Gate. The Aspect reaches the door and wastes no time slamming it open.

He stops, limbs locked in horror.

His office stands before him; various dream devices containing different colored sand were strewn about, broken and in pieces. The entire room was a mess, though it wasn't covered in ink...but in blood.

His shades dissolved into Sand, shooting forward and crooning in distress...

Crooning at the Girls sprawled lifeless on the floor.