55. Half-hearted Continuations

AN/:Right where we left off.

A little food for thought :)

-------

Thomas looks confused at the Twins, eyes continuously sliding from Prince to Duke. "I get that you're Twins but Roman's the older one right? Shouldn't he be the Tertiary Personality and Remus the uh...Quad...Quaternary?"

Before anyone could answer the Host continued. "Hey wait, what's the actual order you guys are placed under? I mean like, Anxiety's the youngest right? What's his rank? How do you choose ranks anyway? If you can choose them, I mean."

The Personality's looked at each other and then back at Thomas.

Deceit answers and he does so with a wicked smile.

"Well we don't choose our Ranks, that's for sure. Take the 'highest' Rank, the Prominent, for example. Note that it's sometimes considered a Title depending on who you ask, but it means the same thing, the one with the most power and control." The Serpent the gestures to Patton. "Now to confuse you, Ranks are actually quite arbitrary. See if something were to happen to the Prominent, who do you think would be next in line for the succession?"

"Uh-"

"Well if Pops bites the dust the dust", jumps in Remus, "the 'Prominent' schtick goes to whoever the hell has the most control over Tommy-thinks-he's-smart!" The Duke shrugs, a giddy look on his face, "If you don't know that would be V..."

In the span of seconds Anxiety and Deceit's eyes widen. The latter was preparing to silence his opposite but Remus continued much too quickly.

"very much Anxiety over there"

Both Dark Sides let out a silent sigh.

Remus gives Anxiety a sheepish shrug and reaches rather stealthily around to give him a soft pat on his shoulder with a tentacle in apology for almost outing him.

The Emo thankfully lets it slide.

He shrugs it off, but it's clear he was still jittery over the close call.

Janus clears his throat.

"Well then, was that the answer you wanted Thomas? No? Oh did you want us to reveal our Ranks so you could figure out how many sides you have? Hmm?"

The Manifestor shrinks in on himself, face red at having been caught.

Deceit however, wasn't going to let his Host off so easily. "I'm feeling much appreciated by this Thomas. Abuse of power and trust early in the morning goes perfectly with waffles, don't you think?"

"Hey, I didn't mean-"

"Oh, you didn't mean it? Did you ever think there's a reason we're not telling you how many Personalities you have?"

"I mean-"

The Scaled Side cuts him off before he can continue, he even silences the others for good measure. "There must be a reason right? And it absolutely kills you not knowing, hmm?"

"Well I-"

"You want to know so badly! Am I right?"

Thomas sighs, knowing Deceit won't let him speak.

"I'm not though, am I. You were lying "

"What!" Exclaims the Manifestor upset, "what are you-"

"You're lying Thomas. You said you wanted to find out about your Sides. But you don't, not really.

You're afraid. You're afraid of what they might represent. You're afraid that you may not be that perfect and pure person you thought you are, no?"