7. The Incident

Funny, the whole thing started because of a bet for ice-cream.
....

*Honk* *Honk* *BEEEEEEEEEEEEEP*

----

"So where are we going again?"

"No idea"

"You're kidding right? We're just wasting time and gas wandering around aimlessly-"

"Yep, pretty much"

The personality rolled his eyes and grumbled.

"Why are you even doing this anyway?"

Thomas shrugged.

"Dunno', just wanted to hang out I guess"

Anxiety raised a brow.

"Why?"

"What do you mean? We hung out many times before-"

"Yeah, but never outside the house, so why do you want to hang out with me now?"

"New experience I guess? I thought it be fun"

"Sure", he drawled, "that's the thing you say to a guy you hate when you drag them on an impromptu road trip"

Thomas frowned, he didn't like the tone Anxiety was using, it had its usual snark yet it was low and it sounded rushed, a defensive wall, a front, a cover.

The Manifestor knew better than anyone what that tone meant, the personality was nervous, his words held another meaning.

Looking in the rear view mirror, Anxiety's expression was neutral, well a cynical sort of sneer like thing was a neutral expression for Anxiety but that was a given, what wasn't though, was the subtle biting of his lip, a sign that any other than Thomas himself, would have missed.

Having seen the small but tell-tale sign, Thomas did what he does best.

"I don't hate you", he watched as Anxiety stiffened, a small movement but he saw it, "I don't like you though"

The personality shrugged, posture slacking slightly.

"Eh, that's fair"

"Mm, well your behaviour over the past few weeks has been pretty good so-"

Anxiety cut him off, crossing his arms with a frown.

"Oh, so this is a reward for good behaviour, what am I, a dog?"

Thomas rolled his eyes.

"All I was saying was that you were good-"

"Woof", sneered the other sarcastically.

"I was just saying that you've been-"

"Woof, woof...what you're gonna put me on a leash too?"

Thomas scowled for a second, but his face then broke into a smirk.

"Oh, throw me a bone here Anxiety"

"Did you just-", the personality cut himself off, trying his best not to smile. Thomas' of course was wide as ever. It only lasted a few seconds before the youngest manifestation caved and smiled a bit. "Morality would be so proud-"

"So you do like his Dad jokes"

Anxiety shrugged, face shifting into a semi-neutral expression.

"Never said I didn't, I told you, the Oldman's alright sometimes"

Despite the neutral appearance, Thomas could still see the small up quirk of the other's lips.

He was always good at getting people to smile.

----

"Seriously Thomas, where are we going?"

"I told you before, I don't know, we just go where the wind takes us I guess", the manifestor shrugged, tapping his fingers idly against the steering wheel.