Chapter 25

After crying a while, Alex and Thelma settled in the car. Alex dropped his head backwards on the car seat, his driver sat in silence as he drove and Thelma sniffed all of a sudden.

"I also lost someone, my mom. She died at the hospital after she gave birth to Theresa and me. We never got to see her" she sniffed and bit her lip to hold her tears at bay.

Alex's gloom stare rested on her. "I am so sorry. I didn't know" he whispered and placed his hand on hers. He squeezed it and added, "That must have been hard for you!"

"It's okay" she sniffed. "I'm fine. But..."

"But what?"

"I'm not sure about Theresa! I think she's still going through a difficult time. She hasn't moved on!"

That was why she wanted her revenge on the Rogers. Theresa still grieves. Their father told them that the Rogers were the cause of their mother's death. However, Thelma wondered if it was a misunderstanding or they were the real cause of her mother's death. She shook off that thought and looked at Alex. His eyes were half-closed.

"Mr. Roger, you will be traveling tomorrow to visit your dad's grave, right?" she questioned. "Should I add that to your schedule?"

"Do I have to visit him?"

She rose a brow. "He deserves it. I will cancel any of your plan for tomorrow. You need to visit your father!" she insisted.

"I haven't visited him for years. I just want to forget that tragedy!"

Thelma shook her head. "You can't forget your dad. He was an important person in your life. I know he is not here with you now. That empty feeling might not easily go away. I just believe you learn how to live with holes in your heart. You can't patch your heart but you can find ways to make it bearable. Does that make sense to you?"

"No!"

"Your dad will always be in your heart!" she leaned and patted his chest. "You can make him alive through the wonderful memories you shared with him. That's what I believe!"

"How did you move on? You never got to see your mother?"

Thelma was silent. Her eyes were swollen and red from all the crying just like Alex's.
"During my childhood, some of my pets died. I had to use the wonderful memories of them to move on!"

"Oh!" he rubbed his chin. "I think I'll take your advice. I need to visit my dad. You know, this R&L company is what I use to remember him. He always worked nonstop to build this company. He had a dream to make it the best construction company in the world. I want to make his dream come true!"

Them gulped. And I and my sister plan of taking the company from you! Are we doing the right thing?

"You mustn't tell anyone about this. Promise me! Don't tell anyone about my dad or...whatever just happened now!" he demanded.

"I won't. I promise" Thelma assured.

They arrived at their destination. Thelma stared at the hotel in front of them.

"You live in a hotel?" Alex cocked a brow. "Why didn't you rent an apartment?"

Thelma forced a tight smile. The truth was that they lived at Pennsylvania. They just came to New York to try their luck. If their revenge plan against Alex doesn't work, they will retreat.

"Good night, Mr. Roger! Sleep well!" she waved and slid out of the car.

"Wait!" he yelled.

"Huh?" she spun around and stared at him. "What's wrong, sir?"