Chapter fifty five: A Million Pieces

"You're never going to amount to anything! Know why? Because you won't grow up, Micah!" My mom was shouting at me for the hundredth time.

I just rolled my eyes but that didn't help the situation.

"Micah Brooks, if you roll your eyes at me one more time-"

"You'll what?" I said. "Hit me again? Go ahead!" I yelled.

Living with her was a complete nightmare and I've had enough of it. I've dealt with this shit for too long and now that I'm finally out of high school, it was time to leave this place.

"I'm leaving." I said, getting up and grabbing the suitcase from under my bed.

She stood there and watched me. "And go where? You don't have a car! You have no money!"

"As a matter of fact, I do have money!" I threw my suitcase on the bed. "I have enough to leave this place!"

She appears to be taken back as she continues to watch me. "Where do you think you'll go? Nobody would want you!"

I only smiled as I made sure I had everything I needed before picking up my suitcase and looking over at her. "I have Jace and we're leaving Nevada."

Before I had the chance to walk around her, she harshly grabs my arm and looks at me. "You'll end up dead." She looks at me with no emotion. "You won't pasta week on your own in the real world. That's why I always had to take care of you!"

"Take care of me!?" I shouted. "You haven't took care of me for years! What, beating me to death is taking care of me?"

"I am trying to teach you lessons, Micah! Someone has to knock some sense into you! You're misbehaving! You're doing all kinds of stupid shit! You're going to end up in a bad place!"

I stared at her. "Why do you care? Last time I checked, you didn't care what I did." I stepped back before I did something I'd regret. "I'm twenty years old and I can do whatever the hell I want to do!"

She crossed her arms. "Go ahead and go then. The road you're taking will only take you to prison." She steps closer. "But don't come crying to me to bail you out of the mess you've made."

I watched as she left the room. "Don't worry about it mother! I wouldn't call you for anything! Even if I end up murdering someone!"