Chapter twenty eight: Shifting

^Picture of Micah's car

"Ladies and gentlemen! Welcome! All participates please line up, the first race with start in ten minutes!"

Standing next to my car, I look around at everyone as they were coming in and sitting down on the bleaches. A few were taking pictures of the cars that were all out here and the drivers were showing off their rides.

There were a few people who stopped by to ask about my car, they all seemed pretty inpressed but none were interested enough. They don't care if it's a newer model, because half of these guys out here are into older model cars.

"Well, well.." Cole walks over to me. "Never thought I'd see you out here again."

"Yeah, me neither." I look over at my car before looking back at him. "This is a one time thing though."

He smiles before running his hand over my car. "We'll see about that." He nods then walks away.

I watch him walk away then I look down at my car. The other cars here are suited up and modified with so much shit. I have a slight chance but I don't know if I can take on something too powerful.

"You're friends now?" Jace walks over with a hotdog in a holder.

Watching him for a moment, I shook my head. "No. Just talking." I look around at everyone and I could feel my heart pump with all the excitement I had. I tried not letting it get to me but honestly, that's the only way I'm going to win.

"So, how does this work?" Jace asks. "You all race each other?"

I shook my head before crossing my arms and looking around. "No, we get one person per race. They have the winners, who race each other and keep on doing that until the final winners are against each other."

"Damn, that'll take all night. There's at least fifty people here."

"It's every weekend." I clarified. "We'll race today, then the losers go home of each race and the winners go onto the next race which is next weekend."

He shook his head as he bit into his hotdog. "You're kinda a nerd from this."

I shrugged as I looked around and knew this was in my blood. Everything about the streets of racing had my adrenaline pumping and my mind in a safe place.

"Please be careful." He said before walking away.

Taking my phone out of my pocket, I looked for a text from her but didn't see one. No missed calls or anything. I stuffed my phone back in my pocket and listened to the announcer as it was time to race.

My focus needed to be on the race and nowhere else. I had a chance at winning this thing and nothing was about to screw me up.

-

"How do they expect us to race in the backstreets without the cops coming after us? They should make a course for us or something, damn!"

Already thirty drivers have raced. It was a pretty close tie when they came back for the finish line. But at least we're getting rid of some of the racers and it's easier to pinpoint who to look out for when we're up for racing.

"Alright, sweetpea.." A guy came around with a clipboard. He looks up at me. "You'll be racing Striker."

"Who the hell is Striker?"

A big guy walked up and extended his hand. "I'm Striker."

Shaking his hand, I slightly smile. "Cool."