Chapter Twenty: In Fear

In this chapter, I had Cameron say something that indicates what might happen throughout the book. Keep that in mind!

"Whoa, what's going on?"

I stop cooking to see Jace walk in the kitchen then stop as he looks at me like he's seen something he couldn't believe.

Well, I was cooking for the first time in a while so it's not everyday that I'm standing in the kitchen looking like a potential wife. I sometimes cook but it's not often because I'm a lazy sack of potatoes, so therefore I don't cook.

"I thought I would cook my best friend a nice breakfast." I smile. "What time do you go to work?"

He sits down at the counter and watches me. "Uh, at nine." I could feel him watching my every move as I flip a pancake on the pan. "This is bizarre."

"Why?" I sat a plate of pancake out in front of him then went back to the stove.

"You never cook." He leans on the counter and watches me. "Oh shit." He smiles.

I look over my shoulder at him. "What?"

"How was last night?"

Rolling my eyes, I flip the pancake again. "It was good."

He chuckles behind me. "Only good?"

I poured more batter onto the pan. "Yep."

"Mhm."

After all the pancakes were done, I made me a plate then sat down across from him at the counter. I grab the chocolate syrup bottle and poured some over my pancakes.

"Completely random but quick debate," Jace says, which makes me look at him. "do you prefer waffles or pancakes?"

I place the bottle down then shrug. "It depends. Waffles have a different texture than pancakes. Pancakes are light and fluffy, while the waffles are a little more tougher and thick." I stuck my fork in a pancake then looked at him. "But if I have to choose, I'd choose pancakes."

"Same, although I do love waffles and it seems like there's more pancakes than waffles." He took a bite then looked at me. After he wiped his mouth, he smiles at me. "So, be honest. How was last night?"

"It was ok, Jace." I took a sip of my milk before setting the glass down.

He smiles then shook his head. "I'm not going to get an answer, huh?"

I shrugged. "Probably not."

"Did you kiss her?"

Staring down at my pancakes, I slightly smile as I remember Cameron kissing my cheek. The affect she left me after that was something unexplainable and it questions my feelings for her and just how deep they are.

"Guessing from the silence you're giving me and the smile on your face, I'm going to take that as a yes?"

"We didn't kiss. She kissed my cheek."

He makes a face then smiles. "Aw! That's sweet!"

I roll my eyes then place my dishes in the sink. I look at my watch and noticed that it was time to leave. "Gotta go, bye hoe." I punched his shoulder then grabbed my bag before walking out the door.

Making my usual drive over to Starbucks, I walk in and was greeted with the drink of coffee. I breathed it in then waited in line until it was my turn.

Jasmine smiles at me then walks away as she knew the routine too much. It was the same shit everyday and I'm pretty sure everyone knew me by now, who was always here every morning.