Chapter thirty nine: Light-headed

"Have I ever told you that you're the best?" He smiles as I hand him the money. He counts it real quick then places in in a small envelope before looking back at me. "You may have been my best customer in the past but you damn sure are my best delivery girl." He smiles.

I nod my head before looking around. "Where's the money?"

He nods then looks around his car. "Right.. how much did I say?"

"Three."

Pulling out a stack of money, he flips through it quickly before handing it to me. I look at it then count it to make sure I'm not being punked.

After counting three hundred, I stuff it in my hoodie pocket and look at him. "Thanks."

"No problem." He nods. He looks at me a little strangely. "You ok? You look a little.. I don't know, down." Staring at me a little longer, he slightly smiles. "Are you still in college?"

I nodded. "Yeah."

"Making something of yourself, huh?"

"I guess so." I stuffed my hands in my hoodie pocket as I looked around.

He stares at me for a moment. "But, are you ok?"

"I'm fine." I lied.

He watches me before smiling. "I've known you for five years, Micah. I know when you're lying." Leaning his arm out the window, he watches me. "What's up?"

Shaking my head, I look around again as my paranoia was kicking in. "I better go."

He chuckles. "Chill. No cops are going to come here. You're paranoid as shit, huh?" He shakes his head before turning in his seat and leaning over. When he leans back up, he holds out a bag and looks at me. "Take this."

Looking at the bag, I look back at him. "What is it?"

"It's something that'll help you. I can tell something is bothering you and since you won't tell me, which I understand that, take this."

Grabbing the bag, I open it to see another bag inside of it. I pull it out and notice it's a zip-lock bag with white pills inside. I looked back at him and tried handing it back but he held his hands up.

"Dude, I don't take pills anymore. I don't want this."

"You might say you don't, but trust me.. you do." He smiles at me before starting his engine. "See you later, Micah. If you need any more cash, hit me up."

Driving off, I watched as he disappeared down the road and out of sight. Looking down at the bag in my hands, I sigh as I stuff it in my pocket and walk to my car.

The drive back home was peaceful, but I hated it. Because when it's peaceful, that means something bad is lurking around the corner and my paranoia can't help but hit hard.

Plus, my mind tends to wander around to her and it makes me even more fucking depressed than I already am.

Earlier today was just something I never imagined would happen. I mean, of course I knew I tend to fuck things up in the long run and nothing good ever lasts, but seeing Cameron like that just made me realize that I can't be happy and the people around me aren't either.

Walking into my apartment, I stuffed my hands into my hoodie pocket as I walked into the living room and saw Jace sitting on the couch. He was watching tv and when he got up, he saw me and stopped.

"Where have you been?"

I shrugged. "I had something to do." I walked into the kitchen and heard him following.