Chapter fifty seven: A runaway

"What are you doing here!?" I panicked as Brailynn was smiling at me from across the counter. This couldn't be happening right now, but it was and she was right there in front of me.

She looks around then back at me. "I ran away from my mom to come see you."

I stared at her as she was out of her mind. What the hell was wrong with this child. This couldn't be real right now.

"Are you serious?" She nods and I felt my heart sink. "Why would you run away?" I asked as I picked up the popcorn bag that was laying on the floor.

Thank God none fell out.

"Cause I missed you." She said, which made me look at her. "Mom said you and her were not together anymore but wouldn't tell me why. She said that you were no longer welcomed over at our house or around us."

I felt that.

I couldn't explain to her what really happened, but it makes everything a lot worse knowing that she has no idea why Cameron said all those things.

"But why would you run away.."

She sighs. "I know I'm ten, but I'm not a little kid. Mom wants to treat me like one and not tell me what's really going on. I cried and screamed at her to tell me but she wouldn't."

I made a face then sat the bag down on the counter. "Brailynn.."

"So, when mom took us to that thing in town about the building, I saw you and I decided to sneak into your car."

I ran my hand through my hair as I was trying to process all of this. It was a lot to take in and I wasn't even sure what the hell to do at this moment.

"I like your hair." She smiles.

Smiling at her, I crossed my arms and leaned against the counter behind me. "You do know that your mom is going to kill us, right? She's going to think I kidnapped you and then shit is just going to get worse."

"I'll tell her that I ran away to you."

"Yeah, cause she'll believe that." I groaned then threw my head back. This was too much.

I heard her grab the popcorn bag before opening it and grabbing a handful and stuffing her mouth. She smiles at me and I couldn't help but chuckle.

"I can't believe this is happening.. how the hell did you sneak away?"

She shrugs then licks her hand. "Let's just say I have my ways. It wasn't that hard."

I watched as she continued to eat the popcorn like this whole shit wasn't something terrible. She was only ten and I knew that she wasn't really understanding the consequences.

This was a nightmare.

-

I was still trying to process all of this and Jace has been gone for about thirty minutes. I was just waiting for him to come through that door and ask so many fucking questions. He may even be freaked out, who knows.

We ended up watching Disney plus, cause she asked if we had it and I knew that Jace got it a few months back. I just didn't want to tell her no just cause I didn't want to sit and watch Disney movies.

Brailynn snuggled up next to me with her head against me and my arm wrapped around her. I smiled down at her but I made sure that she wasn't off the hook from me being pissed at her.

Cameron is probably freaking out right now, which makes me scared shitless.

I told Brailynn that this wasn't a smart idea and that we could both get into serious trouble. Cameron will most likely call the cops then accuse me of kidnapping Brailynn, then a whole lot of other shit I don't want to deal with.