20

Sam

----

"I'll have a small pomegranate with chocolate brownies." I point down at the container and the employee turns away to make my dessert. Andrew is in front of me in the line getting all sorts of toppings. Chocolat chips, brownies, and chocolate sprinkle all on top of some chocolate frozen yogurt. That's almost impressive.

I get handed my cup as Andrew moves down to check out. As I'm waiting behind him I begin to fish for my wallet, but Andrew grabs my cup and places it on the scale with his.

"Wait I can pay for mine." I protest

"It's my treat. Don't worry about it." Andrew gives me a huge grin as he hands the cashier his card.

"13.24 is your total." the cashier places spoons in our yogurts "Have a nice day." We take our seat at a table not too far away. 

"You didn't have to do that," I say as I mix the brownie chunks into my frozen yogurt. 

"I know, but I wanted too." 

" Why do you make such an effort to get close to me." I watch as Andrew's face twists to confusion.

"What do you mean?"

"Before this history project, you didn't know who I was. Why are you so friendly all of a sudden?"

"That's not true. I knew who you were. All three years of high school we've had at least one class together. This is the first time I've ever been able to interact with you." Oh, well I guess he has a point. I go quiet I know I can be defensive, but it's just to make sure I don't get hurt. People are unpredictable.

----

Walking around the mall we stopped by store after store chatting away pointing things out from the windows. The later it gets the fewer people are around us. Soon they aren't even noticeable. Stuck in our own little world telling each other about our lives.

Like how Andrew has a little sister, I wonder if ill ever meat her. I told him about my mom and how she is a nurse working to become a doctor. Andrew is so much different than I thought he was going to be. Whenever I first saw him, he seemed untouchable.

But that was just because of the people he's around. I can't even comprehend what it's like to have friends you truly don't have anything in common with. Maybe he would enjoy my friends. I know he liked Basil when they first met.

"Wha are you thinking about?"

"Huh? Oh well, I was wondering if you would like to meet my friends."  

"I would like that." Andrew looks down at me with a sweet smile. His eyes are bright and filled with so much life. God, I love those eyes.