Chapter 18 (part 2)

"Are you sure you want to do this?" Maria asked me holding my hand. We were walking down the sidewalk to Ben's house. He lived closer to the city then my parents in one of the apartments.

"You're suppose to be talking me into it, not out of it," I said. I let go of her hand for a second to wipe sweat on my shorts. When I put my hand back in hers she squeezed it.

"Cas, he's your brother," she said biting her lip.

"I know that," I joked.

"You can't hide everything under a joke and a smile," she frowned looking down at our hands.

"That's just who I am," I replied. She knew me so well. I'm actually glad that if I have to be stuck with someone for the rest of my life I'm with her.

"Is this the apartment?" She stopped at the turning doors and looked to me.

"Last time I checked," I took a golden key out my pocket and rubbed it around my fingers. Bens apartment was one of the older styles so instead of a watch it used a regular key to open the door.

"Good evening, are you here to visit someone?" The man at the front counter asked.

"Ben Morean," I said clearing my throat. This was suppose to be easy, not me sweating through my clothes.

The man nodded and turned his back on us,"Mr. Morean,"he called through a buzzer.

"Yes," Ben called.

"There is a young man here asking for you," he turned around, looking at me then back at the speaker. He didn't know I was listening to him using my super hearing.

"Send him up," Ben clicked a button so the buzzer shut off. The man turned back around to face us.

"Go through the elevator, on the third floor make a right, number three-o-two," he pointed to the elevator down the hall then turned back to what he was doing before we got there.

I walked with Maria to the elevator and pushed the number three. Slowly the elevator pulled itself up the floors.

"Cas are you okay?"Maria asked me. I wiped sweat from my forehead and looked at her.

"Ya I'm fine," my hands were sweating, my face was sweating, I was burning up.

When the elevator door opened she looked at me again. She nearly pulled me out the elevator to the door.

Number three hundred and two.

I took the golden key in my hands and paused. Breathing deeply I looked back at Maria.

I could hear Ben moving around in his room. He was probably listening to music and playing games on his xbox at the same time.

Maria slowly took the key out my hand and put it in the door. My fingers felt rough like when you rub a penny too much and you feel it on your fingers. They also feel numb like when you slam your finger in the door and everything goes completely numb for a couple seconds and you have no idea how you are living.

Ben was sitting on the couch with a half eaten pizza box on his lap. He was never good with listening about the time for eating. He looked about the same with short dirty blonde hair that flopped around his face, brown eyes that focused on the tv screen, but he got taller. I haven't seen him in so long since he went to college.

"Cas," he said slowly not looking at me but pausing the game screen. I could see my frozen face expression reflected off the dead guys on the screen.

"Ben."

"Why did mom kick you out? Where are staying?" He asked me standing up. I had to look up to reach his eyes.

"Didn't she tell you I was a vampire," I joked. I guess I do have a bad sense of humor.