A Long, Long Time Ago. . .

The wooden lion rose up from the ground. It hovered in the air for a moment, twirled around and then settled back before the dark haired boy. The horse in front of him snorted, impatiently switching it's weight from one side to the other making the whole cart wobble. The lion fell from the ledge before he could stop it, and glancing around there was no one around to see what he was about to do.

Holding out his hand, he focused on the small wooden creature, and slowly it rose up into his grasp. Smiling he held it close to his chest, and let out a big breath he hadn't realise he had been holding. There were strict orders to stay put and if his father had caught him getting down to retrieve it or using the powers he was developing it would be a swift and severe punishment.

"How did you do that?" An amazed voice asked, making the brewers son jump in surprise.

Looking out of the cart, a boy abut his own age stared up at him with wide golden eyes; his mouth a perfect round shape. His blonde curls were dirty, smeared with mud and leaves. The same dirt was spread across his shirt and arms, but it wasn't the dirt, the torn clothing or the bare feet that bothered the dark haired boy. It the smell that was drifting up towards him, and the bruises around his wrists and ankles.

"Do what?" He mumbled defensively, holding the lion even tighter.

"Move it without touching it." The dirty child motioned towards the others hand.

"I didn't!"

"You did, I saw!" He instantly argued.

"Go away. You shouldn't be here." The boy huffed, turning away he looked back to where his father was just coming out the pub from completing their final delivery.

Fear instantly made him feel cold and sweaty.

"I saw!" The blonde haired boy shouted back.

"Go before I call the guards." He threatened instead, glancing back to see his father stopped by a neighbour. "I'll tell them you were, that you, that I saw you trying to steal our horse!"

It was the only thing he knew to say that would make the dirty boy go away. Fear that he might actually tell someone, anyone, even his father what he had seen made him want to protect himself.

"I wasn't!" The other boy stopped, instantly falling silent as a similar fear appeared on his face.

"They won't believe you." They both knew it was true. "Go away!"

"Cain?" His father called making them both jump.

Looking again, he waved at his father who waved back, before nodding at the other man as they shook hands.  While he did this, Cain threw the lion behind him, over the back of the cart and into the shrubs near the fence.

This time he didn't go and get it.

"Now there is no lion. No one will believe you anyway." He stopped his tears, he was not weak. It was only an old toy and he had others at home. "You're no better than a stray dog. I bet you even have fleas!"

The little boy was not as strong as him and tears quickly ran down his cheeks leaving a path through the dirt on his face. Cain wanted to say sorry, and knew his mother would use the belt on him if she ever found out how mean he had been. Despite this he didn't say another word - not even sorry.

"Who are you talking to?" His fathers deep voice called out, and looking over he was nearly back at their cart.

"No one." He answered, yet his lie was obvious as he turned back to where the other boy stood before pointing at the horse. His heart was racing. "I was talking to Fern."