~ F O U R T E E N ~

the next day:

the next day:

Keefe knew something was up the second his mom came home from her "day shopping trip" in Atlantis, and given him a big smile and a box of ripple fluffs, saying she'd bought it especially for him. This could mean one of three things: she found out about his score in Elvin History (unlikely), she had officially gone crazy (likely), or she wanted something from him (certain).

He wasn't fooled when she came to his room later that night and had given him a bundle of new clothes.

"You've grown out of your old ones." she said, with an even bigger smile this time.

Keefe's clothes had been too small for him for almost a month now. He found it suspicious that she had chosen that day to finally notice.

Or care.

+++

Keefe's doubts were confirmed when she came up to him the next morning while he was eating breakfast alone at their giant dining table.

"Honey buns--" she began.

"Mom," Keefe interrupted, "stop buttering me up like this. Just say what you have to say."

Lady Gisela finally smiled, a real smile, not that she looked any less scary. "Well, that makes this much easier to ask of you. Yesterday, at our meeting, Vespera had an idea! To be able to have information on the Black Swan, planting an insider would be very helpful."

"And?" Keefe asked, not liking where this was heading.

"We went through a list of all the Neverseen members, and decided that our double agent had to be young, seem trustworthy, and not have done any damage to Lost Cities yet."

It took a moment for that to sink in. "You-you want me to be your agent?"

"You're the most logical choice."

"B-but-"

"Think of it this way," Lady Gisela continued, "This is your chance to redeem yourself. You can finally prove to everyone that you are more than your average child, that you are my son!"

"What if I mess up?"

"I'm sure that won't happen," Lady Gisela replied in a careless tone, but her eyes gleamed with a warning, like "you had better not mess up".

Keefe swallowed hard, his life having suddenly become a whole lot more complicated.

~~~

Wow, that's a pretty BIG favor to ask, don't ya think? my poor Keefe has so much pressure on him!

also, today was a double update!!

Im gonna be switching their pov's a lot now after this chapter, so yeahh-

thanks for reading <333

- riya

chapter written 4/8/20