~ S I X T Y - F O U R ~

Keefe woke up three times that night, the faint buzzing under his mattress jolting him awake

Keefe woke up three times that night, the faint buzzing under his mattress jolting him awake. He didn't even have to check his imparter to know who was hailing him.

His mother was demanding an update, and Keefe wasn't sure how much longer he could keep lying that Sophie was still sick.

Maybe her patience would eventually snap and she'd come over to check it herself.

Keefe knew his thoughts weren't rational. Alluveterre was an extremely well-kept secret and Havenfield had so much security that going in unauthorized was practically suicide.

This reassurance didn't stop the nightmares, though.

He waited until the buzzing stopped to try and fall asleep, but later realized that it was pointless. He might as well be productive while he was awake.

He trudged down the stairs, careful not to wake anyone else, although the dim sunlight through the windows told him that they would be up soon enough. Havenfield was still dark by the time he arrived and slipped through the gates towards the tech room in which the monitored computer screen was.

And the person on duty that night was none other than Biana Vacker.

Keefe didn't hate her, although she probably didn't feel the same after his betrayal, but she turned and greeted Keefe like they were friends when she noticed him.

Keefe leaned against the edge of the counter, fiddling with the ring on his finger. "Anything news worthy?"

"Nothing," Biana groaned. "This has got to be the most boring job ever. No wonder none of the adults wanted it."

"I mean, most of the adults are keeping watch at the actual place, right?"

"Exactly. I bet this is their clever ploy to get us kids out of doing anything."

Keefe laughed, though even he hoped that that would be enough to keep all the underage members from engaging in a fight.

Especially Sophie.

Though he knew that no amount of restraint would stop her from helping her family and friends. She wasn't the type of person to sit back while others risked their lives.

And while that was one of the things he liked about her, he wished this instinct wasn't quite so strong.

"So," Biana said, interrupting his thoughts. "What's got you up so late? Or early, I guess."

"I couldn't sleep." It was the truth, just not the whole truth.

"Hm," Biana said, nodding. "Anyone special occupying your thoughts?"

Keefe denied it much too quickly.

Biana grinned, but didn't press, which he was both disappointed and grateful for. "Anyways, my shift's pretty much over. I think Grizel's taking my place, and, um, just a forewarning, she'd very much like to rip your head off."

Keefe shuddered slightly. "Noted, thanks."

He stood and headed to the door, Biana right behind him. "You can stick around a little. She should be up soon," she added, wiggling her eyebrows.

He felt his cheeks warm ever so slightly, thankful that the hallways were still dark. "No idea what you're talking about."

Biana laughed, sauntering over to the entrance gates. "Sure, Keefe. Whatever you say!"

~~~

triple update ❤️❤️
i spoil u guys ;)

dedicated to lavender because she's amazing and sweet and I love her so much AND IM SORRY I KEPT FORGETTING TO DEDICATE YOU A CHAPTER BUT ILYY <3

- riya
12/1/20

- riya12/1/20