Ch.40

2 months later...

--------------

Jaliyah P.O.V

"You ready to see your dad?" I ask jai as we gather the blankets & snacks for the 2 hour ride to pick up her dad

"I don't know." she huffs, "what if he hasn't changed?"

"I think he has changed." I say, confidently, "he has been making great progress these last two months."

she sigh, "you're right. Maybe I'm just scared that he'll hurt me again."

"He made a promise to you that he'll change & all you have to do is believe in him." I toss her the last blanket.

"I do believe in him." she hops in the passenger seat, "I've believed in him all my life & yet those beliefs are false."

"People change." I crank the engine, "let's just think positive about his return."

"Ok."
-----------

Chris P.O.V

"Wow

"Wow." laila walks into the room, "eager to leave aren't we?"

I laugh, "yeah."

"Can I tell you something..?" she join me in folding my clothes.

"Wassup?"

"I've enjoyed getting to know you these last two months. I mean, we created a bond as strong as tree branches." she laughs, "corny right?"

"A little." I laugh, along.

"I just can't imagine being here without you. I just wish you could stay a little longer so I won't be lonely but that would be selfish of me to keep you from your family." she frowns.

I frown also, "I'm gonna miss you too."

"No matter how distant we are we're still the craziest of bestfriends." she punch my shoulder.

"You got one thing right." I put my clothes into the icy-white suitcase.

"Sorry to interrupt." robyn steps in, "but chris will be leaving in 2 hours & I need to say my goodbyes."

"Sorry." laila say, "I didn't mean to hold him up."

"It's okay." she stares at laila, "everyone is gonna miss chris so we all should share some fair words."

"I'm leaving now." laila smiles, "I'm gonna miss you chris & good luck."

"Thank you." I watch as she leaves.

Laila & I have created some good memories here in therapy & I will cherish them forever.

"I never knew it would be this hard." robyn fans her teary eyes, "it feels like I watched a baby take its first steps."

I mug her, "don't compare me to no baby."

she chuckles, "sorry but that's really how this feels."

"Wanna hug?" I open my arms out to her, "for comfort?"

"Yes." she runs into my arms, "you did it."

"WE did it." I assure her, "if it wasn't for you I wouldn't have made it this far."

"I know." she sadly, smiles.

"You should be proud of yourself too."

"I am." she pauses, "it's just I'm so happy for you. you're better & now you can live the life you wanted with your girls."

"GIRLS?" I say, shocked. "You think jai will give me another chance?"

"Why wouldn't she? you went through all of this & more just to prove that you want to protect her from not only you, but the world."

"I hope you're right.." I grab my suitcase to go.

"Just think positive." she encourage me.

------------ 2 hours later...

Jaidah P.O.V

"We're here

"We're here." My ma say, cheerfully.

I sunk in my seat, "I don't think i'm ready."

"Girl." she hit my arm, "c'mon."

I shake my head, "what if I get too emotional in front of all those people?"

"No one will care." she opens her car door, "it is a emotional moment for you & your dad."

I swallow the lump in my throat, "right."

I can't cry..!!

We walk upon the double doors as they open freely for us to walk through. I held my head down as we entered the doors into the lobby.

"Who are you here for?" the lady behind the desk ask.

"I'm here to pick up Christopher Maurice Brown." My ma announce, "today is his release day."

the lady scanned the screen for a while before confirming that he'll be down soon.

"Alright." we walk away to take our seats.

"I can't stop shaking." I whisper to my ma.

"You're just scared." she touch my shaky hands, "it's okay to be hurt & afraid."

I nod, "ok."

"JAI!" I heard a voice call out to me, a voice too familiar.

"DADDY?!" I run to him as his arms snaked around my waist embracing me into a hug, "I missed you."

"I missed you more." he cried into my shoulder, "I'm so sorry for all the pain I caused you."

"You don't have to be sorry." I croaked between tears, "I know you just want to protect me."

"I promise i'm going to fix things."he wipes away my tears, "starting with revealing you to the world."

I gasp, "that's sweet & all but let's give it some time."

he hold his chest in shock, "I thought that's what you wanted."

"It is what I want but what I always wanted was a real father & daughter relationship & that's where we start off."

"No more secrets." I point to him, "& no lying."

"I can do that." he nods, "I'm just glad to have you back."

"Glad to have you back too dad." I smile, "forever."

-----------

🥺🥺🥺🥺🥺🥺