Baking Biohazard - Scar x Grian

(WC: 972
Category: Fluff
Ship type: Platonic, hinted romance
Warnings: None

Day 19: Pick a prompt generator. Write about the first thing that pops up.

I got incredibly lucky with this, this is adorable. I'm also implementing my own challenge to write in a different POV, so here's some first person. Do you guys want to see more of this? I found they're good for writing ships.

Also there is way too much "cooking gone wrong" in my oneshot books but they're just so fun to write)

I came back from the Shopping District to see part of Larry the snail on fire.

"Woah, woah, woah." I started searching Scar's nearby chest monsters for a bucket, while Larry's head did a slow 180° turn to look at me. Luckily, the snail's actual body wasn't on fire--it was the wooden shell-house Scar had put on top.

"This is why you use non-flammable blocks in your builds," I muttered. "'Use terracotta!' I said. 'Especially with that fireplace in your bedroom, the house will burn down eventually.' Did he listen? Nooooo."

Turning to Larry, I asked, "Where's Scar? What happened?"

Larry blinked, his head tilting slightly to the right. He made a low whistling sound.

"Oh, never mind. Aha." I held up an empty bucket, then ran to the lake to fill it up with water. Climbing up the ladder--and stealing Scar's door in the process--I doused part of the flames with water. Unfortunately, with how fast the fire was spreading, I didn't think I could keep up.

The sound of fireworks altered me to someone coming. Too late, I turned around, and Scar slammed full-force into me. We tumbled into the shell house and landed in a heap.

I sat up, groaning. "Scar, you idiot. What happened this time?"

"It's a little hard to explain..." Scar rubbed his head.

"Never mind, Talk later, put out fire now."

Scar filled the bucket of water, and I started putting out the fires. With the combined power of our two braincells, the flames eventually died down.

The damage wasn't as bad as we thought. Everything was covered in ash, and a small chunk of the house was missing, but Larry wasn't harmed and the interior was pretty much untouched by the fires.

I leaned against the wall, trying to get the ash off my red sweater. Between the stifling heat of the jungle and the hot fires, I was starting to sweat like crazy. Why had I decided to set up in the jungle? I don't know. I was starting to regret my decisions.

I looked over at Scar, who had taken off his wizard robes, revealing the plain black shirt underneath. "Okay. Now tell me what happened. And put some pants on, for god's sake."

"I was baking!" Scar spread his hands, like that explained everything.

Was this how Mumbo felt when he was dealing with me? "You were baking," I repeated.

"Yeah! Okay, fine, the fires did get a little out of hand, but other than that..." he trailed off.

"Wait, since when did you know how to bake?"

"Well...never..."

"Oh my god."

"I'm used to Vex magic, okay? I followed a recipe book and I thought it would be alright! Speaking of which," he said, searching the ground. "Where'd it go?"

I held up a charred piece of paper. Scar mouthed the word oh, then motioned for me to go on. "And you ended up burning the shell-house down," I continued.

Scar fidgeted with his shirt. "...Yes."

I let the piece of paper flutter to the ground. "Why were you gone, though?"

"I, uh...I couldn't find any iron, so I went to my mine to look for some."

Yep, definitely what Mumbo feels. I would have to send him an apology. I let out a half-sob, half-laugh. "I can't look at you right now."

Scar stuck out his bottom lip poutily. "Hey, some of the cookies I was baking survived the fire!"

"What were the cookies for?"

"For you, silly!"

"O-oh." I was caught off guard. "Uh, thanks!"

I wasn't sure if I should feel honored or embarrassed that Scar had gone through all that trouble to give me a nice treat.

Then again, I shouldn't be surprised. Scar had a reputation for messing up even the smallest of directions, like adding this much butter or that much salt. But that was one of the things I loved about him.

Scar dug out the cookies from his inventory and proudly presented them to me. "For you!"

The cookies looked burnt on the edges, like Scar had left them in the oven for too long. He had beaten the dough too much and added way too many chocolate chips. But Scar was looking at him with excitement. I couldn't just flat-out refuse them. I took one and turned it over in my hands.

Scar's smile faltered. "...Don't you like it?"

I brought the cookie up top my mouth and took a small bite. Yep, definitely too much flour. Scar hadn't added any salt to counteract the chocolate, so the taste was overwhelmingly sweet. With difficulty, I swallowed and tried not to gag. "Tastes great!"

Scar seemed to sink an inch in relief. He gave me a huge grin. "Glad you like them!" He handed me the rest of the cookies. "Here, you can have the rest!"

"Oh...good..." I made a mental note to chuck the cookies into a lava pit as soon as possible.

"Hey, thanks for helping me out," Scar said, putting his robes back on. "If you'll excuse me, I'm gonna go tend to Larry." He went up to the snail, talking to him in a soothing voice, reassuring him everything was okay.

I watched him, then looked down at the cookies. Biting into another one, I cringed at the burnt/dry/sweet taste.

Maybe Scar wasn't the best at baking. But these burnt cookies were made with love. For me. The least I could do was eat the cookies. I swallowed the bite I had taken.

"Hey, Scar?"

The wizard looked down from repairing the shell house. "Yeah?"

"You. Me. One-on-one baking lessons tomorrow. I'll show you how to properly bake a cookie."

Scar smiled knowingly, like he knew why I was offering. Maybe the guy had done this on purpose, just to give the two of us some time together. "Deal."