Stronger - Alters, Arc 4

(WC: 2176
Category: Angst but make it dialogue-heavy and slightly more sarcastic
Warnings: Death (wow what a shocker), slight injury mentions

Okay, this has to be my favorite Alters lore out of all of them

Now to go suffer over Alters5 as there's a fight scene in that one and I have no idea how to write one. Should come later in the week like this one did

Enjoy :D)

Scar figured he had the worst luck in the alter ego department.

Manipulative reflections? No problem. Overshadowed brothers out for revenge? Sounds good. Defect robots? Quite frankly, he was jealous.

But, of course, Scar had the worst out of the bunch. BadTimes was a walking, talking, constant reminder of his past. And what did he want to forget the most? His past.

Oh, the other Hermits would disagree. Ex was out for my blood for multiple seasons, X would mutter whenever it came up in conversation. Hels is a literal demon from the Nether, Wels would protest. And so on.

BadTimes rarely showed up. And from the outside, he didn't seem too vicious. But when he did, it ruined Scar's month. Today was one of those rare visits.

Scar was hard at work on ScarX today--setting up drones, collecting materials from the Upside Down, taming the Nether monsters that threatened to snake up to the Overworld. Just a normal day. Scar enjoyed the work, though.

So, naturally, who decided to pop in? Your local malicious, Vex-magic-wielding evil clone. Stupid inconsiderate alters.

If you weren't paying attention, Scar and BadTimes could be mistaken for one another. Some Hermits and their alters were easily distinguishable--Hels's dark, rusty armor compared to Wels's shiny silver armor came to mind. That wasn't the case for Scar, unfortunately. He and BadTimes looked almost identical, except for the fact that BadTimes had pale blue eyes. Scar, on the other hand, had forest green eyes.

(There had been an incident where BadTimes had pretended to be Scar, then proceeded to raze the newly built town hall. It had been a nightmare to rebuild. Scar was doing his best to erase it from his long-term memory.)

The other differences weren't ones in looks, but ones in personality. BadTimes used his Vex magic freely. Scar hated his magic. And, by association, he hated BadTimes, too.

But why? Other Hermits tended to ask. What did BadTimes originally do to anger you?

Well, the answer was something Scar was trying very hard to forget. Even more than the identity theft issue aforementioned.

And, naturally, this thing was the very subject that BadTimes brought up today.

The alter appeared in a bright flash of Vex magic, scorching the poor drone Scar had been working on. It spiraled to the asphalt ground and broke in two. BadTimes remained hovering where he was.

"Scar!" he said, a grin plastered on his face. "Long time, no see, am I right?"

Scar grumbled under his breath. It was always the friendly facade first. Lead the victim into a false sense of security, then stab them in the back. Sometimes literally, other times not. After being around BadTimes this long, he'd started to work out how the alter behaved. After all, it was how...never mind.

He still wasn't ready.

"Hey, BadTimes," he muttered eventually. He wished that BadTimes would disappear in a fiery explosion like the one he appeared in. But things were never that easy.