Chapter 43: Dark mind

- Mother, I don't know if...

- Alicia Woodson, you have to attend. I will not accept any excuses. You are the heir to a fortune, the successor to our legacy. I'm asking you as your mother to attend this special birthday of your father's. He loves you, and misses you so much. You don't even call us anymore... We only know that you're alive through your sister.

- Jesus Mother... Why does everything with you have to be so dramatic? You know that I have a somewhat complicated life, and a profession in which I must always try to protect my identity. So that it does not end up falling on you both or Madi, affecting the safety of my family. It is not a good idea for me to attend family events, where there may be thousands of private and press cameras recording my identity. I need to be careful. Why is it so difficult for you to understand that? It is not because I don't love you and Dad, it is exactly the opposite, it is because I love you both and I want to protect you.

- Alicia, I don't want to hear your excuses, just try for once to honor us with your presence. Your father...

Lexa continued listening to the irritating voice of her mother, who was absolutely determined to convince her to attend the birthday party of her father, William, who would be 60 years old. Becca's voice penetrated her ears like annoying needles as she rolled her eyes, waiting for her to finish once and for all. The talks with her mother always used to end in discussions for different reasons. It was clear that for Becca Woodson, her daughter Alicia was similar to the pain of a pimple on her ass.

Lexa still loved her family above all else, and her only way to protect them was to stay away from them. Although she acknowledged that she had not communicated with them for a long time. Partly felt guilty about it, but now was not really the best time to make an appearance in a family audience. Not at least until the Griffin case was closed, and filed in the past, and she could live that married life alongside her beloved wife.

The thought of that small detail made her think for a few seconds, that Becca Woodson was going to explode like a rocket in the 4th of July, when she told her that she had a beautiful, and very famous wife. Not only was she a woman, but she had no royal lineage whatsoever. She didn't really give a damn though, she had never been interested in her family's file, always being a rebellious soul, just as her beloved grandfather had been. She would not neglect family duties, but she seriously intended to pass the commands of that danm heritage to Madi, or else modify the whole thing. But now was not the time to think about that, she told herself, as Becca's voice continued to be irritated on the other end of the line.

As the dramatic talk continued, she felt the hand of Clarke's assistant, Alie, grab her arm, squeezing it lightly to get her attention, so she turned to look at the monitors. Lexa was slightly surprised, but without further ado she turned her face to them immediately.

Lexa's eyes widened as security cameras showed Finn Collins practically jumping on a very surprised Clarke, as Sofia came to the rescue. Lexa didn't plan to stay there watching however, that son of a bitch was going to pay dearly.

Her mother's voice on the phone was still speaking, but it was a faint murmur already, because Lexa had moved the phone away from her ear, giving it to Alie. The android looked at her without understanding what the hell to do with the phone, only listening a female voice agitated in the other side of the communication. Lexa motioned for her to continue listening, and talking to her mother as she ran to the elevator.

When the elevator doors opened downstairs, Echo's hand stopped her immediately, motioning for her to be quiet, putting a finger to her lips. The bodyguard then proceeded to enter the room, where the situation was clearly already under control. Lexa also followed Echo, hiding so Collins would not see her.