Chapter 18: Weakness

They looked at each other for a brief moment with warm eyes, both feeling for the first time a certain connection between them, a connection that was different from before, or that at least they had not yet noticed. It was pleasant, it felt familiar, and the silence was not uncomfortable, since their eyes spoke a language that only their souls understood.

But as always, one or the other came back to reality, confronting it in the best way they could manage, whilst both were still refusing to let go and accept what was happening between them.

- Good morning Lexa - spoke Clarke kindly

- Good morning Miss Griffin

- I need to speak with you. When we return to San Francisco, we will continue traveling on to Hawaii. I wanted to give you advance notice as I was thinking about your... cat... so you can tell your pet care, or whoever takes care of it, that you will return to the city just after the weekend. - Clarke explained, whilst Lexa opened her eyes wide at the news of the surprise trip wondering really why she needed to be a part of it?

- Hawaii? Wow... well I must say that I'm surprised. Will you close any other business on the islands? - Lexa wanted to know. She was curious about the reasons behind such a sudden trip to the beautiful islands of the Pacific.

- That's not of your... No. I will be visiting my sister. She lives there with her partner. - Clarke did not know why she was answering these questions from her employee, but she did it without allowing herself to second guess any motives.

- Oh... Well Miss Griffin, thank you for letting me know and thinking about Heda, you have been very kind. - Lexa replied somewhat distant, surprising Clarke a little. The cold treatment from the brunette bothered her a little.

- I... well, you don't have clothes to travel in, so... here, take my card and go to the shops the hotel have, and buy what you need. Tell them that you are my employee,

and that they can contact me if there is any doubt about it. You have an hour, and then come to my suite. We will be leaving in two and a half hours for San Francisco. - Ordered Clarke in such speed that she barely managed to breathe, whilst Lexa looked at her even more confused and surprised. She watched Clarke's hands struggle not to shake as she reached into her purse for her credit card, clearly a platinum American Express.

Lexa was a little concerned about how Clarke was thinking right now. She barely knew her and suddenly was offering her credit card to her, without limits of how much to spend, just to go shopping in a place where the boutiques are renowned for their expensive brands. Obviously the brunette was aware that Clarke Griffin had an enormous personal fortune, and probably never worried about money. Lexa stopped herself for a minute, realising that she also had a lot of money, even more than Clarke, most likely from her place in the royal Scottish English lineage. This wasn't the point though she was simply surprised to see the card on the table and the somewhat nervous face of her boss, who could barely look at her.

- Are you sure Miss Griffin? I mean, with me using your card...? I have mine, I can use it without problem. Anything I buy, I can pass the purchase receipts to Harper to claim my money back. I think otherwise, businesses are going to assume I have stolen your credit card. - Lexa wanted to drive home the madness of simply giving your credit card to an almost perfect stranger. Clarke looked at her somewhat nervous and strange, but paid attention to what the brunette was saying understanding her point.

- Yes... maybe it's for the best. Well do that, and then come see me Lexa. And I guess isn't necessary to ask you not to be distracted whilst shopping today, right? - Clarke said wryly raising her left eyebrow, and making Lexa smile and blush. She lowered her eyes a little before raising them and answering her, biting her lips like the naughty girl who was bursting to jump out from inside.