Year 4 - 39

Everyone was gathered in the Great Hall; it was the ceremony for Cedric's death. From the ceilings draped black flags that had a 'H' for Hogwarts and a slight outline of a badger in the background. Cassiopeia sat in between Draco and Amelia, looking down at hers and Draco's join hands in her lap. Draco made sure to keep a hold on her hand, seeing the black flags hanging from the ceiling reminded him too much of Cassiopeia's memorial that took place in their second year. He kept looking down to her to make sure that she was still there, hoping that he wasn't thrown into one of his nightmares. Cassiopeia had delivered the message to Cedric's parents and they were beyond grateful that she'd tried to save him, since Professor Dumbledore had told them what happened. She gave them a weak smile as they pulled her into their arms, before saying farewell and leaving the castle with their son's body.

"Today we acknowledge a really terrible loss." Professor Dumbledore spoke to the hall from his podium. "Cedric Diggory was as you all know, exceptionally hard working, intricately fair minded. And most importantly a fierce, fierce friend. I think therefore you have the right to know exactly how he died. You see, Cedric Diggory was murdered by Lord Voldemort. The ministry of magic does not wish me to tell you this. But not to do so I think would be an insult to his memory." His voice had risen, but then he brought it back to a softer tone. "Now the pain we all feel at this dreadful loss reminds me, reminds us, that while we may come from different places and speak in different tongues, our hearts beat as one. In light of recent events the bonds of friendship we made this year will be more important than ever. Remember that and Cedric Diggory will not have died in vain, you remember that. And we'll celebrate a boy who was kind and honest and brave and true right to the very end." Cassiopeia leant into Draco's shoulder and he placed a kiss upon her forehead as a tear fell from her eye.

Once the ceremony was finished, everyone quietly left the Great Hall. In general, everyone was going back to their common rooms, but Cassiopeia turned to her friends.

"I'll see you in a bit." She told them. They nodded and watched her go in the opposite direction. They all sighed, they knew that she wanted to be alone but also knew that at this moment she probably shouldn't be. Slowly and hesitantly they made their way back to the common room.

Cassiopeia made her way towards the Forbidden Forest alone. Making her way to the lake, her thoughts were starting to spin through her mind. She sat herself besides the lake and looked out to the stretch of water. She knew what was coming, and she hated it. This was the moment that she had been dreading, she now had to choose her side of the war. Her friends or her family. Good or bad.

She looked around to check that there was no one there and started to sing, she knew that she needed to let out her emotions somehow, so she stood at the edge of the lake and sang out into the water. It was as if she was playing out one of those moments where the character of a movie sings on the cliff tops and it sores across the sky.

She sang her heart out, as she knew she needed. After she finished the song, for once no one had walked in on her singing. But for once, she wanted someone. She wanted Professor Snape; she needed her Godfather. She grabbed her wand and sent a Patronus, hoping that he would answer and come and join her. But it didn't go her way as her godfather's Patronus returned saying he was in a meeting. So, she just sat, she sat right on the edge and let her legs fall into the water. At this moment, her head couldn't be placed in the right place. There were thoughts from everywhere in her mind, some saying to support the Death Eaters, other to stick with Hogwarts. Although, she looked at it as if she had a choice, but did she? The Dark path was her family. Her father was the Dark Lord, William was a Death Eater, her boyfriend's father was a Death Eater, her Godfather was a Death Eater. She was surrounded by Death Eaters, so she doubted the possibility of escaping. Perhaps, for her, this would have to be a waiting game, especially as the Ministry weren't accepting that Voldemort was back. So, she felt like she had the time to properly think it through. Wonder about the possibility of becoming a spy for the right side, after all that's what her godfather did. And that's what she's going to do...

-----***-----

Thanks for reading

-Zoe