chapter 1

seven years...

seven hellish years in Iraq and Afghanistan and I finally..finally get to vo home and spend the rest of my life without waking up to bombs exploding g or the enemy attacking our base and shooting at us.

My name is Cassandra smith but everybody calls me Cassie and I have been in the Rangers for seven years I first enlisted when I was eighteen with my best friend Jay Halstead but I call him baby blues/blues because of his blue eyes. Jay and I have been best friends since diapers we went through elementary, middle and high school together and most of the Rangers, jay got an honourable discharge on our second tour in Afghanistan because an IED exploded hitting our unit but only jay and my other best friend mouse ( Greg Gerwitz) on discharge from it leaving me to lead our unit since Jay was the original leader but anyway. You must be wondering who the mouse is well we met mouse in training he was quiet and could get into anything, not just small spaces but also into computers with was worrying but cool me and jay instantly clicked and instantly became friends with the mouse mainly because we were the youngest in our unit so we stuck together.

my life before that was more complicated my dad was doing 15 years in prison for drug possession and assaulting a police officer my mum was an alcoholic and druggy so she didn't have time or cared for me so I spent a lot of time at jays house his mother and brother Will didn't mind but his father was never a fam of me but I didn't take it personally. Jay's brother will we were always close help me a lot he was like my brother but I don't think he has the same thought he had a massive crush on me even though he was two years older. he didn't care but he never made a move.

my life was okay but I'm glad to be able to go home and start a new life. I was about to start a new job at Chicago med because I was a medic and they needed more trauma surgeons so that was a good thing. all I need now is an apartment and I can pack up and get out of here.

#########

ʜɪ ɪ ʜᴏᴘᴇ ʏᴏᴜ ᴇɴᴊᴏʏᴇᴅ ᴛʜᴇ sᴛᴀʀᴛ ᴏғ ᴛʜɪs ɴᴇᴡ sᴛᴏʀʏ ɪ ᴋɴᴏᴡ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ɪᴛ ɪsɴᴛ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ʟᴏɴɢ ʙᴜᴛ ɪ ʜᴀʙᴇ ʟᴏsᴛs ᴏғ ɪᴅᴇᴀs

xxx