chapter 37

it was now new years eve and Jay and Bucky had become best friends I would walk into the apartment and see that they were playing rope in the living room every day.

I was working my last shift of the years when I walked into the Ed.

"hey cassie I have a seven-year-old coming in fell in ice water" maggie shouted and I ran putting on gloves as the girl came through the door

we got into the trauma room I started shouting orders.

"what's her temp," I asked.

"89," one of the nurses said.

"Right let's get her warm get warm liquids in her, blankets heat pads all of it on her we need to warm her up also let's get ahead chest x-ray and belly ultrasound to make sure nothing is broken or bleeding from the fall," I said and the nurse gave me the ultrasound and I moved the wand around her stomach to see no abnormalities.

then the x-rays came in and there was nothing there.

"Okay let's get her warmed up page me if anything goes pear-shaped," I said putting the gloves in the bin and walking out of the trauma.

"hey cassie you are needed at station 21," maggie said and I sighed and got ready to leave.

"There is an ambulance going back to its station you need a lift go," Maggie said and I ran to the rig and they drove me to the station where I got the stations and walked in.

"you called," I said to Trudy and she pointed upstairs.

"your boy," she said and I signed walking up.

I walked into the bull pin the see Jay sitting on his desk with a bloody nose and a black eye.

"really ay it's the last day of the year and the last thing I needed was a call saying you needed medical treatment what happened Jay," I asked.

"nothing I am fine," Jay said. 

I looked over to Hailey and she started to talk "he got just for a big guy like 6"2 and like twice his build so might want to check his ribs" she said.

I lifted his shirt and felt around his ribs and chest to seem nothing out of the ordinary.

"noting broken let me look at your at your fingers," I said and he gave me his hands to see nothing wrong also.

I look at his nose and felt around "you feel dizzy" I asked and he shook his head.

"don't lie," I said.

"how long has he been bleeding," I asked Hailey.

"coming up to an hour," she said.

"right let's check your blood level," I said getting him hooked up to the machine thing.

"ok that is ok nothing is broken just badly bruised you eaten today," I said shinning the light in his eyes and seeing nothing.

"you saw me eat this morning," he said.

"you eat a banana this morning that is it your joking," I said. I looked at my watch and saw I had ten minutes left on my shift.

"when you off," I asked.

"in five," he said.

"Okay come on your coming with me to get your stuff and get some food thank god thank nose has stopped," I said through the tissues in the bin

he grabbed his coat and Bucky from downstairs who was with some patrolmen and walked out back to the hospital to get my stuff and then we went back home and I made some food for Jay and gave Bucky a treat.

"we going to Mollys tonight," I asked him and he nodded.

"what we going to do with bucky can't leave him alone with the fireworks," he said pointing to bucky who was rolling around on the floor.

we ate and then got ready for the party. it was a couple of hours later and it was around 9 o'clock. all three of us walked into Mollys and everyone was there. we got table ordered drinks and talked for the rest of the night.

it was 11:59and we were getting ready for the count down, we were all stood up Jay had Bucky in his hand and we were all counting down. 

"10.."

"9.."

"8.."

"7.."

"6"

"5.."

"4.."

"3.."

"2..."

"1.."

"HAPPY NEW YEAR" everyone shouted. 

Jay pulled me into a kiss and pulled away as bucky started to lick our faces.

"happy new year," I said to both my boys.

"I love you," he said.

"I love you more," I said back kissing him again.