got lucky • oliver

a/n:
Went for a swab test, hope me and my family turn out negative for covid...wish me luck

...

Luck. That's all this girl had. Nightmares and extreme guilt were there too. But luck had nothing to do with how she escaped Goldy Pond that day. It was her desperation to get away from demons that made her slip out of the hunting grounds with no means of going back . . .

You and Oliver grew up together in Grand Valley, two innocent children who knew nothing of the horrors that were outside the walls. The pair of best friends were then shipped off to a place called Goldy Pond. At first, you'd think it's a quaint town to live in. But little did you know that Goldy Pond is only a town of nightmares and death.

When the music played, so did the demons. The children did not play. They all ran in fear. All you heard was screaming and crying. All you saw was blood and dead bodies. It's something that scarred you from the moment it began. Then you met Lucas. The kind man took you and Oliver under his wing and taught you how to survive.

Both ten at the time, Oliver promised to keep you safe no matter what. He took the initiative to make sure everyone else was safe too. Four years later, he was starting to become a leader that everyone looked up to. Oliver is strong-willed and determined, he was by far on his way to being one of the most experienced out of all the children. Many more children came along, and Oliver built the resistance and kept it in place.

You, on the other hand, were mostly working in the background. You helped out as much as you could but it wouldn't compare to the work your best friend does. Looking up to him, you wanted to do more for the other kids. At fourteen, you took it to yourself to carry a bag of first aid around with you at all times. You managed to save a few kids during a hunt, no matter how dangerous it got. You refilled the bag every chance you got in order to be prepared.

One day, before you went out during a hunt, Oliver stopped to talk to you.

'Y/n, I have something to say.' His voice was already getting deeper as you recently noticed.

'What is it, Oliver?'

He looked deep into your eyes. Earlier that day, he had a feeling that something bad was going to happen. He didn't know he was going to be right.

'Be safe out there.'

You gave him a reassuring nod and you two shared an embrace. It never occurred to you that that may be the last time you'll see and hug him again.

'I'll be back later.'

You weren't.

On that day, the music somehow sounded different. There was fuzzy static ringing in your ears. Your vision seemed to blur as well, especially when you pushed a child out of the way of Bayon's spear. The tip of the blade scathed you, leaving a scar that ran diagonally across your face. Running, bleeding, heavy breathing. That's most of what you could process. Luckily, you found a place to hide. You patched up your wounds as best as you could, the demon lurking just outside.

That moment scared you the most. He did find you, making you run for your life once more. Managing to slice at your feet, you ended up crawling away as fast as you could. Your arms ached and so did every part of your injured body. Again, you hid somewhere. The music stopped. Bayon went away and you continued to drag yourself. By some miracle, you managed to worm your way out of Goldy Pond in frantic desperation. You didn't realize that you were already out until you calmed down.

You really did get lucky. But not in the way that relieved you. It was just a miracle that you're alive. Back in Goldy Pond, Oliver had thought you were dead. It all happened so fast. Now, you were left with a multitude of wounds to treat. Lucky for you, the first aid bag wasn't miraculously left behind in the chaos.