24

***

Chapter 24

Tears brimmed my vision

I wiped my eyes and ran out of my room, trying to find Maria. Maria was of the head servants on my floor. She had also been around ever since I was 7, so I knew I could trust her with everything. And plus, I've always been her favorite around the palace. I knew she would keep a secret.

I found her in the kitchen, talking to one of the chefs.

"Maria!" I called out to her. Her doe-like brown eyes turned to me, and she smiled, little wrinkles forming at the corners of her eyes. I stood by the side of the door and gestured to the hallways. I walked out and she was right behind me.

"Luna, my baby!" She grinned at me and pulled me into a hug. "We're so blessed to see you around again. God, the palace has been gloomy without you."

I've missed her too. I only saw her once ever since I came back.

"Oh please. You know you didn't have to deal with any of my annoying midnight cravings when I was gone." I teased.

I used to wake up at night and go into the kitchen to look for something to eat, and her room was the closest to the kitchen, so every time I went in there she would wake up and check on me. Even cook deserts for me sometimes in secret. Mother would kill me if she ever found out I ate sugar that late, but Maria was just an angel.

I pulled away and gave her a small smile.

"Hey," I started. She gave me a little worried look once she looked into my eyes. I knew I looked distressed. "I need to ask you for a favor. A huge one."

"Of course, honey, anything for you."

"I need a pregnancy test." Her eyes widened. "I know, I know. It sounds insane but I need one. Desperately."

Her hands rested on my arms.

"Do you want to talk about it, sweetie?" She asked gently. I shook my head and looked down.

"Not yet." I mumbled. She nodded.

"I understand. I believe one of the girls might find you one in the medical aid room downstairs. Hopefully we'll get lucky."

"N-no, do you think you can find it for me? I can't risk any of the other maids finding out. They'll talk. You know that."

She chuckled. "Oh I missed that part. Yes. Of course, honey. Give me 10 minutes. I'll go check for you."

And then with that she walked away. I watched her leave my sight and walked into the kitchen.

"Hey everyone." I called out. The head chef and the two helpers of his looked at me and smiled, greeting me back.