Video #65

"Hi Dad!"

I took the film camera downstairs in the kitchen to where my father was with a laptop.

"Guess what day it is?" I asked him.

And he just looked at me.

"April 30th?"

"It's your birthday!"

I hugged him.

"Did you get me anything?"

"You know that you always get your presents after we eat your birthday cake!"

"Oh right, hahaha."

So, today is my father's birthday, also the parent that I am a little closer to than mom, I love them both equally, I just always gravitated more towards dad just a little bit.

When I was younger, I used to go to Bring Your Child to Work Day with him and I was always the cutest little thing as they said at the workplace. When dad was taking a business call, I used to run around the office and say hello to everybody in the cubicle. And sometimes, they would let me use their computer to play random computer games. Ah, those were the days.

In pictures, some say that when my father was my age, I looked like a carbon copy of him, of course, I have his auburn hair and not his blue eyes. We have some of the same traits, such as being clever and a little out of the box. My dad is more social than I am, but I am a little bit smarter than he is.

We would spend days by the pools and swim together, he taught me how to swim, how to play chess, how to read, how to make a professional email, and how to use my brain for problem solving skills.

But Kat, isn't he making you a clone for the heir of Broïsé?

That's what most parents would do, but not my father. Most parents would abuse their children by blocking their individual persona and force them to learn these essential skills and that's why when they grow up, they are miserable and hopeless. That's what mom and dad are afraid of having: depressed, colorless children.

So many times when Dad wasn't working at home, I would be on his lap while he was doing work and he would sing nursery rhymes to me. Sometimes, he would fall asleep because he was so tired.

Alexa doesn't really see dad as an actual father figure, maybe because she never liked either mom or dad, but claims that she is a mom's girl. I know that when she says that, it breaks dad's heart because he helped make her life and she treats him like a stranger.

I know sometimes, my dad can overwork himself. That's when he needs a nice and warm cup of herbal tea. I know his favorite, honey vanilla chamomile with a pinch of sugar for flavor. And when he's stressed, he tells me everything that is on his mind. Everything.

Am I like my father? I would say so.

There were a few times when he cried, and he didn't go to Mom because mom was out of the house.

I remember one time when Alexa was a freshman, and when she started dating Chance. It was a few days before her 15th birthday, and Chance and her have been dating for a month. Dad at the time, disapproved of relationships for Alexa because she needed to focus on different priorities such as grades (my dad is the parent that checks our grades as well) and when Alexa was going to go out with Chance one night, Dad stopped her. I remember all of the words vividly, because I was in the little library in the fall house.

"Where are you going, miss?"

"Out with a friend."

"I would normally let you, but you have been missing assignments for classes left and right."

"No, the teachers lose them."

"I know that's a lie."

"Why do you care about my grades anyways? What are you going to do with me?"

"I don't want to see these concerning numbers, that's all."

"What? Are they THAT bad?"

"You only have 1 passing grade, and that's in Russian class with a 94."

"Ok, and?"

"You're failing every class with a 32.7 average."

"What does that mean to you?"

"I'm just saying you should get your priorities straight, it's ok to miss one night of going out with your friend."

"No dad, I have to go! You have to let me!"

"Why is it so important anyways?"

Alexa fell silent.

"Let me guess, that Chance dude is your boyfriend? I knew it! Look, if your grades weren't terrible, I would let you go. But, I can't. As a father, I must not let you do everything. I thought that you were old enough to focus on your own grades. Do you even know the website where you check them?"

"Alexa Opal Richardsons, look at me."

That's when she stomped on Dad's foot extra hard.

"Why do you have to do this to me? Why can't I bee like the other kids who's parents don't give a shit about them? Everybody can do this, but you won't let me do anything! I hate you dad! I hate that you treat me like a child! I hate this family! And I hate you and mom as parents!"

That's when she slammed the front door and I saw a car outside and she ran and jumped in.

Dad opened the door while I was looking outside and I saw tears in his eyes.

"Did she leave?"

I nodded.

That's when he started to cry and he hugged me.

"Kat, do you think I'm a bad parent?"

"Of course not, Dad."