Chapter 67.)

It was two days after Ava found out that she was getting her period and she's been nervous to mention it to King. She knew how he and the rest of the men, including Kairo, could get. She tried to keep it under wraps but King caught her grabbing a few pads out of the closet and she saw the life fade from his eyes.

His baby girl was growing up right under his nose and he was missing all the signs. Ava saw how hurt he was and it broke her heart. She didn't expect his reaction to be what it was but it was obvious that he had to go through a lot and her getting her period amid so much turmoil seemed to be the icing on the cake.

Assyria was the last of the Mohican, he wasn't ready for her to grow up, not at all.

Hearing soft knocking on the door, Ava glanced towards her bedroom door with her sewing book open.

King opened the door slowly and peeked inside before entering. He didn't say anything at first, just laid on the bed and stared at the few pieces of fabric she had laid out.

She was still into designing clothes and it seemed to help keep her mind off of her cramps. The men thought they would have to walk on eggshells with her as they had to do with the twins, but Ava was different; she was more reserved and stayed to herself.

Feeling eyes on her, Ava cut her eyes at her father and King just stared at her; he wanted to rewind the time.

"What's tha' matter?" She closed the book and laid on her side.

King remained quiet. Renae was in the hospital doing chemo with Karen there to keep her company and here he was, sulking about his youngest daughter having her period; his spirit was crushed.

Lord knows if Assyria came to him about this, he would lay in the middle of the road.

"Daddy," Ava's soft voice pulled him from his thoughts.

"I remember when you used to be so sassy," he laughed as he stared ahead. A hint of regret danced around in his eyes then faded.

"You were all but five bossing all of us around and side-eyeing anyone dat wasn't your mom or aunt," shaking his head, King smiled faintly then sighed. "Damn man."

"Why are you talking like I'm going away or something?" She queried.

"There's a chance you will," he spoke, his eyes never met hers.

Ava frowned then scooted closer and tugged on his goatee. Smirking, King looked at her and she did it again.

"I won't leave you, I'll always be here," her words were sincere, but he had to remind himself that she was young; her sisters said the same thing.

"I promise," she added.

"If you do, I'll be fine," he lied right through his teeth and she knew it.

"Stop lying... I hate that," she scrunched her face up to mask her feelings.

Chuckling softly, King laid next to her and turned on his back. "I've had time to think... about my past... now... and our future... what do you want me to do? You know I can't just let dat dude walk freely."

Ava sighed then cleared her throat. "I told you already... if you want to kill him, there's no point in asking me... I don't understand you, Daddy," she rolled her eyes. He was irritating her with this whole Andrew situation.

"If I'm laying here talking to my child about something I'm not supposed to, don't ever think I'm just doing it to hear myself talk. So say what it is."