Chapter 32.) Guilty Conscience

A college party in Atlanta, Georgia seemed to have taken a turn for the worst last night. Around nine-forty-three, Atlanta PD received a few calls of loud music and smoking. A few officers nearby was making their way to the area when they heard gunshots. Around nine-fifty, more shots could be heard and we're told that two victims were shot and in critical condition as of this morning. One happens to be a nineteen-year-old African American, who plays basketball for the college and the other victim... we don't really know her age, but she too att—

          Muting the tv, King picked up his phone and typed in Yae'Shawn's number. It was amazing at how quickly he mesmerized it but that was his fatherly instinct automatically kicking it.

         It was only 6 in the morning and for someone, he had a problem sleeping last night. He couldn't focus on Renae or the kids, Kwan came over to smoke and go over more business ideas and he completely checked out. He tossed and turned all night and now he knew why.

         "He-hello?" Yae'Shawn answered groggily.

          Moving from under Renae, King got up and stepped onto the balcony as the cool October air hit his bare chest.

          "Are y'all ok?" King asked with concern heavy in his voice.

          Hearing shuffling around a bit, King furrowed his brows.

         "Mr. Stone? What are you doing up so early?"

          "Fuck allat, are y'all straight?" He repeated.

          "Yeah, why you c— ohhhh..." Yae'Shawn trailed off before exhaling.

         "The party,"

        "Mhm, did y'all go?" King questioned.

         "We did... we kinda got into a fight with some kappas and then someone started shooting,"

         King frowned his face up and dragged his hand down his face a few times before clenching and unclenching his fist.

          "Mr. Stone?"

         "Mhm," King hummed closing his eyes and took a deep breath. "Are my daughters ok?"

          "Yeah, some girls tried to jump Kaari but Ray handled that. Kaari got a lil scratch on her arm from falling, that's about it. My bad for not calling you last night w—"

          "Y'all should've called Shawn... come on man. Y'all got my kids with y'all miles away and I gotta hear about a fucking college party turning south from tha' news? I'm out here going crazy, not being able to sleep or function right because I'm up worried about y'all. Like damn man, y'all got my daughters with y'all but shit... I still love y'all lil niggas too. Come on woe, I thought we were better than dat?" He could hear the irritation in King's voice but also knew he was only concerned.

         It made Yae'Shawn feel good in a way to know that he didn't just call for his daughters but for the guys as well.

          "I apologize for that. We all crashed last night Mr. Stone, I swear we were gonna call y'all today, last night was just crazy man," Yae'Shawn explained and King looked up at the sky and inhaled slowly.

          "Mr. Stone I'm sorry,"

         "King," King sighed.

         "Huh?" Yae'Shawn replied.

         "Call me King... it's fine Shawn,"

        "Um... ok... you alright?" He asked.