Chapter 44.)

"She doesn't eat those... why are you treating this as if she's my girlfriend?" Yae'Shawn stared at his mom strangely as she attempted to cook dinner.

       After arguing with her for weeks about disrespecting Reign, he finally decided to properly introduce the two but was starting to regret it.

         "Who doesn't eat green beans?"

           "Black people?" He replied with knitted brows and she waved him off.

            "They aren't even seasoned... I should've asked Grams to cook," he mumbled, staring at the roasted chicken that looked awfully bland.

          "Boy... Yae get out of my kitchen," she laughed.

         After feeling bad for always being absent in his life and also letting her jealously for Reign get in her head, she put a slight pause on her gigs to stay home, but it felt forced to Yae'Shawn.

         The doorbell rang and Mari almost knocked him down to answer it. His reflexes almost gave her a good right hook but he caught himself, she was gonna be laid out tryna be first.

          "This shit is soooo weird," he mumbled to himself as he watched his mom plaster on a fake smile.

        She's been absent most of his life but he still knew when she was pretending because she did it well, every day if you ask him.

          "Hi Shawn," Reign giggled, following Mari into the kitchen.

          "Goon," he gave a nod and she laughed handing the textbook back to him.

          Cutting his eyes at his mom, he studied her body language for a moment realizing she was analyzing Reign as if she was trying to find fault in her.

           He wasn't sure why, but that irritated him, a sense of needing to protect Reign came over her and he casually pulled Reign towards him breaking Mari's gaze.

         "Wah?" Reign whispered.

         "Nothing," he replied then motioned for her to sit down.

          After making their plates, Mari took it completely far and said grace. Yae'Shawn couldn't even bow his head, he was just staring at her in disbelief as she lied through her teeth before the Lord and in front of him.

         When does she ever say grace?

        She hates prayer.

         Those were thoughts that he had but kept them to himself and allowed her to put on this act.

         "So... Rain,"

         "Reign," Yae'Shawn corrected, Reign couldn't catch the difference in annunciations but he sure did.

         "That's what I said," Mari laughed.

          That's my mom... that's my mom, he told himself over and over until she began speaking again.

          "So... Reign, you and Shawn go to school together?" She asked.

           "Yeh, wi uh..." unsure if she should speak her Native or not, Reign looked at Yae'Shawn for help and he nodded.

          "Wi ave classes together... a lot," the heavy accent caught Mari off guard, Yae'Shawn could see it but he didn't understand why, she should've been used to hearing patios by now.