42: The Plan

Savvy's POV

The eyes of the football player in front of me seems relieved, as soon as he sees me. Holding his forearm crutch, he smiled, yet I could see his discomfort. He is terrible at hiding. I knew the moment when our relationship started to die when he lied. He cheated. I just ignored it willingly. We spend almost 6 years together, witnessed ups and downs. And one day, it was over.

“You look weak.” He commented from the other side of the gate.

“And you look awful.” I smiled and walked towards him, outside the community. I wanted to be his friend but not more than that. Likewise, I intend to have a civil relationship with him.

“Yes... One of the Bullet hit my leg. My calf needs time.” Explaining, he looked at his feet.

“What about rehab?”

“I am planning, once I am to recover.” Looking at Antonio, “I wanted to talk to her in private.” Josh said. He was asking permission from... Antonio. “It's personal.”

“In our family nothing is personal... So speak to her here. In front of me.” Antonio scowled.

“Mr Rossi... I understand your concern due to my past, but I love her too. It wasn't my intention.” Josh urged with sincerity.

“I know...this. Bullshits.” Rolling his eyes, Antonio stepped a little far. “I am not leaving... This is the privacy you get.” The reason was obvious. Antonio was once in his shoes. The difference is, Kate is no more whereas I am alive with a happy future for me. Antonio cheated on Kate just like Josh did to me, but Kate was already in battle with herself. She was clinically depressed. She committed suicide leaving her three children. Evie was too young. She couldn't speak any other language other than Italian. That little girl looked for her mother everywhere until Sara took her responsibility. Evie is Sara first child. After Sara was done, This defeated Rossi is yearning for his wife and children every day.

“It was easy to convince him.” Josh beamed.

“You don't know his past.”

“All I know, he's one of the retired mafia bosses.” Josh shrugged off.

“I thought you wanted to discuss something.” Reminding him, I looked at the lonely Rossi.

Thinking twice, “I wanted to talk about us.” Josh closed our distance and earned a growled from Antonio.

Antonio is protective of me. It's his guilt. He never expressed nor others have discussed it, but this is another fact. Antonio Rossi is guilty of taking momma away from me. It was he who took her advantages in a drunken state and Synn was born. He lied for years and Val kept this secret. Everyone assumed Leonard Rossi is the father but both Rossi brother knew the truth. Momma was a force to leave me as Rossi are very protective towards their children.

The deal was Synn. She was supposed to deliver Synn to them, but she stayed because when she was back to us, something happened, that made momma leave permanently. She lived with Rossi for years, where they gave her a good life, but she was alone. Furthermore, she loved Dad. But Dad never loved her. Her children rejected her. Everyone rejected her. Her life was alone.

“There is no us.” Hunter was about to hit Josh but stopped. Antonio held him.

“Let them talk...” Antonio said glaring at Josh. “She knows what she wants.”

Accepting Antonio's demand Hunter backed, but he looked anxious. He is afraid of something. This was the moment I realized, I never asked Josh about Hunter all these years. They were together. Josh knew Hunter's address, still never mentioned It to me. Even he spent nights with me without discussing Hunter. They were best friends?

“Josh, my decision is final,” I insisted. “Just tell me one thing... Hunter is your best friend?”

“Despite everything, we loved each other like a brother... Even though he was jealous of me because I had you.” Josh looked at raging Hunter. “He doesn't deserve you.”

You deserve better. I remembered my words. All these years, I was the one advising mom and Sara. They both deserve better, and now I am the one who is going back to that person who lied, cheated and is not ready to tell me the complete truth.

“Let me decide what I deserve.”

“You still think Hunter is a good man.” Josh laughed, provoking me and Hunter rushed to shut him. But again Antonio caught him and dragged him to the next side of the gate.

The restless Hunter is an indication of something that both friends know. Something that Hunter wants to hide. Something strong enough to bother Hunter Maxwell.

“What he did?” I asked waiting for something bitter revelation.

“He didn't tell you.” Amusing Josh looked at Hunter who was fighting her again Antonio and Thomas to reach me, but they successfully held him. Thanks to these men. They are giving me space and the time that I need to talk to Josh.

I am impatient now. “Come to the point.”

“Hunter knew about me and Grace,” Josh said that was nothing new. I kind of guessed before that, Hunter was aware of their affair as they are best of friends to each other. “He took me to the bar where I was so drunk that led me to Grace...” Sighing, “it's new, but she confessed it last week. She loved me, and she knew if we have sex I would be guilty and our relationship would end. Hunter knew all this.”

“Even after that night, you continue to cheat. Stop blaming Hunter. It was your choice.”

“It was Hunter who advised me to explore my feelings for Grace. When Grace confirmed that I am not the father... Surprisingly Again Hunter knew.”

Hunter knew.

Hunter knew about this.

Looking at Hunter who continued to struggle with both the men, I analysed his behaviour. Josh is right. Hunter knew about this. About Josh not being the father.

“Hunter pushed me towards Grace... Grace told me Hunter offered her me in exchange for you,” Josh added.

“He planned all this.” I understood.

“He started to behave abnormally from the day I asked his advice about the engagement ring. I wanted to propose to you. The next night, this all started... He took the advantage of the privilege that your father provided you. Your father stopped tracking your every move and Hunter was aware of this... I know, your father is a secret keeper.”

“I can explain....” Hunter yelled while Antonio and Thomas frowned. We are far from them, so they couldn't hear us, but Hunter understood what Josh said, which means Josh is right. Hunter planned all this.

“You still think, there is no us?” Josh asked, but before I could say anything, smoke covered us.

What?

I heard people yelling, but this smoke is dense. Where is the fire?

“Stay still…” I heard Josh yelling. “Let's get out of here.”

“I can't see.” Coughing, I use my hand to feel Josh's body but instead, I feel a sting on my neck.

“Sleep.” I heard a familiar voice before drifting into a dark World.