Prologue

Usually, having a baby is a happy occasion, one filled with joy and hopes for the child's future...

Not for the parents of those born on the cursed day, the first day of the first month.

Some call these children cursed, others call them special, most can only hope they'll have a safe future, hope they can lead as normal a life as they can. But all these people know there's no way to protest them from what they've been born into.

You see, the day a child born on this date turns twelve, three stripes appear on their upper arm, just below the shoulder. These three stripes, as small as they may seem, affect the child's whole future.

If the stripes are gold, silver or bronze, the child is destined to become a powerful admin. These are what parents hope for, the stripes that guarantee safety for those who have them, at least for another few years.

But 20 children, no more, no less, wake up every year to see three ominous black lines along their arm, stripes that only meant one thing.

The child would become a Watcher.

They'd be there within the hour, ready to take them away, tear them from their families, families they'd never see again. And this is why so many fear this day. Because there's always that lingering chance, a chance you may just be one of the cursed.