Chapter 43

"We have all suffered a great loss." Beta Scott shouted so he could be heard over the murmurs of all the other wanderers in the room; getting their attention. "The loss of a great leader, and personally a great friend. May his wisdom guide us along with the moon goddess. The spirit of a wolf is never lost. Just wandering."

"The spirit of a wolf is never lost. Just wandering." I repeated from the back of the crowd. That was the wolf quote; supposedly written by the moon goddess herself.

"Let us all pray to the moon goddess."

We all bowed out heads before starting. "Spirit of the wolf. You who wanders the wild lands, you who stalks in silent shadows. You who runs and leaps between the moss-covered trees; lend us your strength, and the wisdom of your glowing eyes. Teach us to relentlessly track my desires, and to stand in defense of those we love. Show us the hidden paths and the moonlight fields. Fierce spirit; walk with us in our solitude, howl with us in our joy, and guard me as we move throughout this world."
I smiled when I remembered how many times Avery had me read that prayer. She said every real wolf memorized it and then they would always have something to hang onto.

Beta Scott seemed to be trying to compose himself and he cleared his throat. "Now down to business. It is time for our new Alpha to step up and take his title." This started a round of applause and some howls from the ones in their wolf forms. I smiled seeing how happy this made everyone. "Alpha Grey's son; Alpha Lash will be standing up." He looked to the side and I soon saw Lash start to take the stage.

He looked so strong and confident with his head held high. He knew what he was supposed to do. He'd known since he could speak. This was his duty. Everyone cheered when they saw him, but no one but me noticed what was really there. Ever since Alpha Grey's funeral yesterday I'd seen the drastic change in him. This was no longer a day for celebration. Not for him. His father died, rouges are demanding war, and he has to take the Alpha title all in the matter of two days. It was way past insane. My heart hurt for him as I watched from a distance. When Alpha Grey passed; Beta Scott was appointed leader cause he was second in command. Now Lash would have it and be the official Alpha.

No one even remembered it was his birthday. "Happy birthday, Lash." I mumbled softly knowing he couldn't hear me, but needing to say it anyways.

Beta Scott went through all the responsibility this roll would give Lash and then he asked Lash if he picked people to be his future Beta, and third. He nodded and soon Ariel followed by Dexter came up onto the stage to stand next to him. Ariel looked amazing in the beautiful red dress she was wearing. She had talked about it for years. It was the dress Avery wore when she was appointed Luna of this pack. I knew Avery would be proud watching her. Now if only Avery would talk to me. I sighed.

Lash stepped up first. Beta Scott had something on the small table covered up with a white cloth. He took it off revealing a big sharp looking knife. The sight of it made me squirm. I knew what they were going to do, but I couldn't help it. I didn't want my mate to hurt himself; especially not of purpose. Beta Scott took the knife and without even flinching slid it across his palm and let the blood flow as he passed it to Lash. With his face giving nothing away he ran it across his palm. I winced kinda feeling the slice myself. Part of the mate bond. Carefully putting the knife back down Lash firmly took Beta Scott's sliced hand with his. I noticed Lash looking over the crowd and when his eyes met mine I gave him a small tentative wave and mouthed "good luck".
His eyes brightened when he saw me and a small smile came to his lips before he turned back to the task at hand.

"I, Lash, here by accept my role as the Alpha male of The Lash Pack. To fulfill it to the best of my ability. To always put my pack first and to make every decision in the light of their well being. My beta and third will follow my lead. I promise to be a respectable Alpha. Only to use my power for the good of my pack. I am now Alpha."