Chapter 19: The Sports Festival Part 2

Kirito POV:

Before we could even arrive outside our tent, another announcement came.

"Participants please make your way back to the blue flag where you'll start the three-legged race!" The announcer said.

I turned to Eugeo and he shrugged as we walked back to the blue flag where the 100-meter sprint was held.

When we arrived, a young man with green hair that I didn't recognize was present. I assumed that he was going to be the proctor for this event since when I looked around Deusolbert-sensei was nowhere to be found.

Without wasting any time, the young man began, "Each of you is required to have a partner for this event." He said. "When you find one please come to me so that I can give you a rope to tie the both of you together."

He spoke in a professional and cool tone. He was still quite young, I guessed that he was around his early 20s, so I had a feeling that he was similar to Deusolbert-sensei when it came to following the school rules.

I turned to Eugeo and suggested that the both of us partner up. He agreed but before we went to get our rope, I turned to Eiji.

"Sorry, I've known Eugeo longer so our coordination is more fluid. You guys can pair up if you want. I don't mind." I said.

"It's fine. This'll be your last event anyways so you should enjoy it however you wish." He replied.

I nodded and Eugeo and I went over to get our rope.

"Excuse me, we're partners." Eugeo said.

"I see, here." The green-haired sensei said, giving us the rope.

"If you don't mind me asking, what's your name sensei? I haven't seen you before." I asked.

"My name is Nergius Budrom, but you may refer to me as Nergius-sensei." He answered.

"I see then we'll see you around, Nergius-sensei." I said, waving, as Eugeo and I walked away.

We made our way to the starting line and I offered to tie us together with the rope.

As I was tying us together, we talked about how this reminded us of our middle school sports festivals.

"This kinda reminds me of our sports festival during middle school, huh?" Eugeo said.

"Yeah, even back then we were partners during the three-legged race." I responded.

"Yeah, the only difference now is that we don't have Alice cheering us on." 

I smirked at his statement, "You need support to win?" I said as I finished tying us up.

"Not at all. It just feels different, you know?" He said.

"I do."

"I guess this is the last event before we eat lunch, huh?" He said, looking around.

"Yeah, and after this, I'll be able to relax." I said, amused.

"Well, aren't you lucky?" He responded, exasperated.

"Not luck. Skill. I convinced Sosuke to only let me participate in these events."

"What? I didn't think he was that type of person." He said in disbelief.

"He isn't. He just did it without realizing that he did. A little wordplay can get you far, you know?" I explained.

He sighed and we waited for everyone else to pair up before we could start the race.

A few minutes later, we were getting ready to run. Everyone now has a partner, and by the looks of it, they were confident with the person they chose. Since Eugeo and I partnered up first in our class, we'll be the first to go.