Chapter 27: Reconciliation

Third Person POV:

Everyone turned in the direction of the voice. A woman in a red suit stood within the doorway of the mansion, her eyebrows furrowed as veins began to show on her forehead.

It was Kyouko Yuuki. The previously rowdy and cheerful mansion became silent. So silent you could hear if a pin dropped. Most of the adult guests recognized her but said nothing.

The expression on her face caused their throats to gag making them incapable of speaking.

Asuna was the most shocked of all. She knew she couldn't get away from her for long but she never expected it to be this quick.

Kyouko looked around the crowd before her in search for her daughter.

Bercouli arrived at the scene, "Excuse me, but I have to ask you to leave."

Kyouko glared at him and stepped into the mansion, "I've come to retrieve my daughter and I won't be leaving until I do."

Bercouli tried to stop her when Minetaka called out to him, "That's enough, Bercouli."

Bercouli stepped away as Minetaka stood before Kyouko.

"Kyouko Yuuki, I presume?" Minetaka said.

"Don't give me that. You know who I am, Minetaka Kirigaya." Kyouko responded.

Minetaka looked from her feet to her face, sizing her up. Like a lion about to pounce on its prey.

"Why are you here?" He asked.

Kyouko didn't falter under his gaze and aura of superiority.

"I've come for my daughter. I know she's here." She said.

"Well, I haven't seen her so she couldn't be here."

"Don't lie to me. She asked for my permission to come here just the other day."

Kyouko was beginning to get irritated by Minetaka's behavior. She knew that multiple prestigious families were here so she had to act as formal as possible while still displaying her anger.

"I see..." Minetaka said. "Well, if she was here I would've known abou—"

Minetaka was cut off when Asuna revealed herself with Kirito slightly behind her. Minetaka stared at Asuna, interested by the girl's actions, as she walked over to her mother.

-Earlier-

"Asuna!!"

Kyouko's voice echoed throughout the mansion. Kirito and Minetaka turned in the direction of the voice.

"I spoke too soon." Minetaka said.

"She's here?" Kirito said in disbelief.

"Looks like it." Minetaka confirmed, "Go find Asuna."

"And what'll you do?" Kirito asked.

Minetaka smirked, "I'm going to have a little chat."

Minetaka left him and Kirito set out to look for Asuna. He found her behind a crowd of people looking at the doors of the mansion. He grabbed her slender shoulder as she jumped slightly.

"K-Kirito... M-My mom is..." She stuttered, trailing off.

Asuna was shivering as she hugged herself. Kirito noticed this and took her hands in his.

"I know. We need to get you out of here." He said.

Asuna stopped shaking but she didn't respond either. Kirito looked at her curiously.