Chapter 42: Sleepover

Kirito POV:

"Is this it, Kirito?" Eugeo said beside me.

I looked at the text Asuna sent in our group chat again to confirm the address of Yuuki's house and looked at the sign at the front of the residence we were outside of.

"Looks like it." I put my phone away.

"What are we waiting for then?" Hirata said, stepping forward and ringing the doorbell.

A ting! came and a few seconds later the sound of metal sliding against metal came from the other side of the gate. Yuuki popped her head out.

"Hey, guys!" She turned to Hirata and her eyes widened, "And president Hirata... I didn't expect you to be here."

"He wanted to talk to me so I thought I'd bring him along." I said.

"I-I see."

"Can we go in?"

"Oh, yeah, of course." She pulled the gate open and we all entered.

We took off our shoes in the doorway and she led us to the living room where blankets and pillows covered the floor.

"This is where we'll sleep?" Alice said.

"Yup!" Yuuki said. "We can watch movies and play games before that though."

"Where's your family, by the way?" I said.

"My parents are at work. When they heard I was gonna be having a sleepover with more than two friends they decided to take the night shifts for their jobs. My sister's at her university."

"I see. We've got the house all to ourselves then."

"Other than their rooms, pretty much. You can set your things down anywhere. I gotta go upstairs for a sec."

As she went up the stairs, I asked, "Are Asuna and everyone else here?"

"They're in the kitchen!" Her voice echoed from the second floor.

With that, I turned to the others and we placed our bags on the blankets before making our way to the kitchen where everyone else was. The moment I stepped in a fruity, nose-twitching aroma entered my nose.

"What are you guys cooking?" I said.

Their heads turned to me as Eiji said, "I have no idea. I'm just doing what they tell me."

Yuna hit Eiji by the side and answered, "Chicken, pork, squid, fish, and some other things Asuna thought of that I can't even begin to pronounce."

I turned to the chestnut-haired girl in question and raised a brow with a smirk, "Are there any sandwiches?"

"Yes, there are sandwiches, but we're saving that for later." She said.

I fist-pumped as Asuna told us to set up the table and specifically told me and Eugeo not to throw any plates or glasses around like we did during Christmas Eve.

"When will dinner be ready?" I said.

"Just a few more minutes. The cupcakes are taking longer than expected." Liz said.

I set a plate down before going behind the kitchen counter to help out. They left me in charge of the cupcakes and, without them looking, turned the heat in the oven up just a bit to make the process end faster.

"Whoa! That's pretty hot, Kirito." Yuuki popped out of nowhere, which caused me to step back a bit.

"Don't come out of thin air like that." I said, turning off the oven.