Chapter 16 - Truths - Rewritten

We have finished a second tribute for Vader on our YT channel. Check it out if you're interested. :P No spaces in the link: youtu . be / TrRylvLR0fE

~ Amina Gila

Obi-Wan doesn't know how he feels at the revelation that Anakin and Vader are one and the same, but he'd be lying if he said that he wasn't happy Anakin is still alive. Since he's still in Force restraints, he can't feel the Force, he can't feel the muddled mess of emotions which Anakin is experiencing. His expression doesn't really give Obi-Wan any answers, except that Anakin is hurting, though because of what, he doesn't know.

Dooku's accusations make no sense. Why is he defending Anakin? Is he defending him? Or is he simply seeking to cause a problem when there is none? He feels guilt gnawing at him, and he smothers it. It would be stupid to feel guilty over something imagined that Dooku is talking about. It's not as though this is the first time he's dealt with this type of emotion. He has known guilt – true – and nothing could compare to the realization that he might have unintentionally led Anakin to his death. It tore at him for days until he was kidnapped and ended up here. And now, his relief is simply overwhelming. He's grateful to have Anakin back, although apparently, he needs help. A lot of help, especially if Dooku is giving voice to that fact.

"I can see now why Skywalker thinks so little of himself," Dooku continues, eyes narrowed.

"Leave it," interjects Anakin sharply. This is the closest he's come to anger at the Count, and it's unsettling to see. "It doesn't matter, okay?"

Dooku turns on him so fast that Obi-Wan can only gape. "When we are discussing your well-being and mental stability, it absolutely does matter," he argues severely, a note of finality in his voice. Anakin wisely clamps his jaw shut, somehow managing to look petulant at the rebuke. None of this makes any sense. It's clear that they have no love for each other, but Dooku is inexplicable trying to protect Anakin. After he lopped off his arm and Force knows what else. More than that, Anakin is reacting to Dooku's words similarly to how he does Obi-Wan's, almost as if he's accepted Dooku as his mentor.

"What do you mean by 'so little of himself?'" Obi-Wan inquires, frowning, because no, that's not right. Anakin is – he's calm and confident more often than not, showing vulnerability rarely and only when he is truly lost as to what to do and how to handle the situation.

Two pairs of eyes are suddenly focused on him, though Anakin's are guarded, and he looks away after only a moment, expression and body posture screaming that he's bracing himself for a blow. It hurts to see, because he hasn't acted like that since he was a child, shortly after coming to the Temple. Obi-Wan had honestly thought that Anakin had moved past... all of that.

"You really don't understand," Dooku states flatly – almost incredulously – crossing his arms. Anakin shifts uncomfortable next to him, looking anywhere but at the two of them. "When Skywalker came to the Temple, did you send him to a mind healer?"

Obi-Wan blinks at him in confusion. He knows what mind healers are, of course, but Jedi rarely ever see them. It's usually only ever highly traumatic experiences on missions when they're so troubled that even meditation can't help. As far as he knows – which is admittedly little – it's extremely rare for Jedi to see a mind healer. "No, why would he have?" He knows that some of his confusion is leaking into his words, but he can't check it completely. What is he missing?

Dooku huffs out a laugh that is completely devoid of any mirth or amusement. "I never knew you to be so dense, but then again, it seems to be an apt depiction of your order." Obi-Wan twitches, not impressed with the slight against the Jedi, but Dooku doesn't give him time to respond. "Unless my sources are completely erroneous, he came to the Temple when he was nearly ten after a childhood of slavery. Why would he not need to see a mind healer?"