Chapter 43 - Homeward Bound - Rewritten

A mild pain pulses through Anakin's mind, making his brain feel somewhat muddled as he steps into the hanger of his command ship. The fight had not been easy, and it certainly took its toll on his mind. He guesses it will take a couple days for him to feel normal again. The war is finally over; there's no one left to fight. Now, they can complete the process of restoring peace, but that's not something which he'll really have a hand in. The real question is: what now? He's been used to going on missions as a Padawan, and more recently, fighting in the Clone Wars and planning to destroy Sidious. He doesn't even know how he could survive without something to do.

He's never lived a quiet life – life outside the Order always seemed too surreal to contemplate, but at least he won't be alone. He'll have Padme, Obi-Wan, Ahsoka, and Dooku. The clones will be there too. Maybe he doesn't have to give up his life of tension and adventure. He remembers, a long time ago, how he'd promised to return to Tatooine and free the slaves. They could still do it. Rex and the 501st would be more than willing to help him, and it's a worthy goal, one which Obi-Wan and Dooku would wholeheartedly support, if not aid in.

He makes a mental note to mention it to them later. Once they sort out the immediate complications from Sidious' death, he should be free enough to venture on another mission. For now, they all deserve some much-needed rest. Force knows they need it. The past week hasn't been easy for any of them, and right now, his brain feels like it might explode. Attempted possessions are definitely not fun.

They gather in the conference room, and Anakin dials Padme's frequency, Obi-Wan, Ahsoka, and Dooku gathered around him. Savage had decided to opt out; he doesn't want to remain with them, preferring instead to travel the galaxy on his own. He's grieving, and Anakin can understand that. Once his injuries have been treated, he'll be provided with a shuttle and allowed to depart.

The transmission connects, much to Anakin's relief. "Ani," Padme greets him, an expression of what seems to be relief on her face. "I was getting worried."

"It takes more than a Sith Lord to kill me, Angel," he replies teasingly. She knew, of course, that they were planning to go after Sidious.

"We have destroyed Sidious," Obi-Wan interjects smoothly before they can get too side-tracked. "The Republic Senate needs to be informed. With Sidious gone, I expect the remaining Separatist systems will be willing to negotiate a treaty." He hesitates slightly before continuing, "What's the status with... us?"

Padme's expression brightens, Force signature flaring with the faintest hint of relief. "The Senate has voted, and you and Anakin – and Ahsoka – are no longer deemed traitors. An official request for Dooku to come to Coruscant to negotiate here was just sent."

Anakin can't quite conceal the thrill of delight that rushes through him. They're going back to Coruscant. He glances at Dooku, the glance enough to tell him that the Count is onboard with that decision. "We're coming to Coruscant then," he declares. It will not be easy to go there, he knows that much, but if the Senate supports them, there is little which the Council can do.

"I will be happy to see you all in person so we can catch up," Padme replies, giving Ahsoka a significant look. "You're all invited to have dinner at my apartment, of course," she adds. Anakin can't help but grin at the thought of Dooku going there. Padme isn't particularly fond of Dooku, unlike him, and she'll likely be quite wary of him for a while.

"Invitation accepted," Dooku tells her politely. "It will be a pleasure to meet you."

Padme nods to him before refocusing on Anakin. "I'll inform the Senate of the most recent developments immediately. Should I say anything to the Jedi Council?"

Anakin exchanges a look with the others. "No," Obi-Wan speaks for them all. "Don't tell them. As you are a Senator, it is your duty to tell the Senate. We will speak with the Council ourselves after our arrival. I am sure they will wish to speak with us." Yes, he's not a Jedi – he's a Sith – but Anakin can't quite hide the surge of fear that rushes through him. Obi-Wan reaches out to him, caressing him gently through their bond.