Chapter: 3 A Disguise Assassin

Chapter: 3

Madeline's POV: 

I was furious as I felt the tears welling up at the corners of my eyes as I dig my nails into the palm of hands to keep myself from lashing out at anyone. I saw a balcony that was unoccupied and decide to go over there to get some fresh air. I walk outside as the fresh air felt good against my skin as I look down at everyone gather here for tonight's event. I touch my mother's amulet as I knew she would have been proud of me today, but it also saddens me that she had died. I would never truly know if this is what she wants for me. I want something to change! Anything!

The tears wash down my cheeks as I quickly wipe them away with the back of my gloved hand. I have to be strong. I can't show weakness in front of people. I am a strong woman who can stand up to anyone or anything. I realize what Thomas did back there as it set my anger in motion again. He got under my skin once again! Oh, I'm going to kill him one of these days! A sigh escapes from me as I look up into the darkening sky and I heard footsteps behind me. I turn around quickly to see that handsome guy standing there. It was the one that I had noticed from earlier.

We stood there frozen in our spots as our eyes lock onto each other's as we both didn't move. My heart was racing as I didn't really know why. I don't know who I can trust here and not to trust. He has warm dark brown eyes as his dark brown hair was pulled back with a tie string that was in his hair. He seems to have a mysterious air about him like he was experienced and full of knowledge. He slowly walks over to me and murmured "I'm sorry, miss. I didn't mean to scare you" 

He took my glove hand gently and I let him as he places a kiss upon my knuckles. My cheeks grew warm as it sent my heart racing away in my chest. I found my voice again and murmured softly "It's quite all right" 

He smiles up at me and I have to admit the guy has his looks. He stood next to me as I couldn't help, but notice how familiar he look like. He looks like someone I knew, I just don't know who or why. He murmured "This is some party, huh?" 

"You can say that again," I muttered bitterly as I look out across the courtyard with many people mingling here and there. 

"What happened? If you don't mind me asking..." He asked looking at me curiously. 

A slight smile came on my lips, but it faded away, "I came here with an unbelievable idiot."

"The one that you were yelling at?" He asked. 

I look at him wide eyed as my cheeks grew warm once again, "Yes, the one that I was yelling at." 

"He looks like a complete idiot." He murmured with a smirk.

The corners of my lips began to twitch, but I hid the smile from him. I smirk instead, "So, you were eavesdropping on our little conversation?" 

"Not at all. I was coming over if I could dance with you, but then you ran away from him." He answered chuckling. 

I gave him a narrow look, but a half smile spread across my lips, "Well, you are a little late." 

"I guess I am," He said looking at me once more. 

A chuckle escapes from me and he seems to be mesmerized by my chuckle. He smiles at me "Do you mind if I could have a dance with you, Madame?" 

He held his hand out for me to take and I place my hand in his hand. It felt warm against mine and it set my heart racing once more. He places his hand on my waist as I place my hand on his shoulder. He took my other hand in his as we started to dance to the faint music that was coming out of the doors. We move in sync with each other and for some reason, this felt different than dancing with Thomas. We pose for a moment or so and I was wondering why dancing with this man felt different than dancing with the arrogant fool back in the ballroom.

I look up into his dark brown eyes as he looks back at me with a curious expression on his face, but I could tell that his eyes were guarded. There seems to be something off about him, but then again it could be me just over-thinking things. He spun me outwards before spinning me back into him as we dance in sync. He pauses as we did a pose before we began to move our feet once more. It felt wonderful and fun to be dancing with him. It's strange to think that I do, but I don't mind the feeling. It's nice to experience something different than being experiencing the same thing over and over again. 

"Madeline! Get away from him!" Thomas shouted as we both look over at him. 

"Is this the intruder?" One of the guards asked that was with him.

I let go of the man that I was dancing around with as I turn my body to face them, but before I could. I felt an arm snaking around me holding my arms to my sides. I felt a cold metal thing press against my neck and realize that it was a blade. "Come any closer and the little lady will die by this blade" The guy that I was dancing with threatening with a smug tone. 

What is it with guys that they have to prove everything? I rolled my eyes as I realized that this was just what Thomas needs to rub in my face. A damsel in distress and I couldn't do anything because I had no weapons on me. "Guards! Seize him!" Thomas pointed. 

What? Did he want me to be killed? My heart was pounding in my chest as I felt the guy freeze against me. I realize he wasn't expecting this, especially from somebody like him that was supposed to be my comrade. The man that was holding me let out a frustrated sigh and the guards were closing in on us. He shoves me forward with such force that I collided with the guards as we all fell down onto the ground. 

"No harsh feelings, lady!" The guy said smirking at me before jumping over the railing. 

I was beyond shock as I was leaning up on my elbow as I had landed on my side onto the ground. The guards got up and help me up from the ground. Thomas came over to me "You are weak! Why didn't you do anything?" 

I turn around and slap Thomas as hard as I could "You ever do that again and I will personally kill you, Thomas. Remember that I'm a higher rank than you are! Show some respect!" 

"Yes, madam," He said with reluctance. 

"Now, take me to my carriage. I'm ready to go home" I snapped. 

"Right, follow me," He said in a defeated tone as we walk back down the hallway. 

I never have to pull rank with him, but that was a foul move that he plays on his part. Our leader isn't going to be nice about it. Thomas will never think of doing that again, once our leader hears about what almost happened. I can only hope that I'm his most trusted person in the order, because if not. Then I might be the one dead.

Comment, Vote!

Let me know what you guys think?!

Thank you! :D