Chapter: 56 Misery is My Company

Chapter: 56

Madeline's POV:

My stomach was healing quite nicely and it was all thanks to that mystery lady. I don't know what she did to me, but I am able to lived again. It has been a rough month of me healing, but I was able to walk. It wasn't easy to do. My legs has become stiff from not using them. They were a little wobbly at first, but soon I was able to get the hang of it again.

Arno had to go back to the Bureau and in exchange for Julian's life. He became an assassin as well. It was quite weird, but I guess time does change people or hopefully it did for him. Arno doesn't trust him a whole lot, but that is understandable. He worries a lot over me and I do know why. Julian had been occupying my time with stories.

It was a different kind of man. I couldn't believe it was the same man that was reserve and didn't talk except for a few words. That was all. His stories were fascinating and they weren't about the Templars either. I did ask about them and he told me that Thomas has something planned, but he doesn't know what it could be. He was open and honest. A smile had spread across my lips from how far Julian was coming through to prove himself.

William had stop by and brought me a pretty pink flower. It was lovely. Arno got me a red one as well. They were sweet and made my day. Now, it was quiet except for my heavy breathing and my feet tapping the cold floor. The nurses were standing on the side watching me, but making sure I don't strain myself. They were quite persistent.

It was painful, but I needed the exercise. It was better than laying there thinking of so many things that I could have said to my father, but lately there are probably no words for what he had committed. It was done and it was over. A sharp pain went through my stomach and I inhale before slowly letting out a breathe. One of the nurses murmured, "All right. That's it for today."

She help me over to the bed and I gently sat down before getting in position to lay back down. She brought up the white sheet that was surprisingly warm and I let out a sigh of relief. My stomach was feeling a little better, but the pain was still there. It's going to take forever for me to heal. The more that I lay here. The less time that we have in stopping Thomas and Nickolas. I need to do something, but what can I do in this position that I am in? What am I going to do? I must get back onto my feet. Time isn't on my side and I foolishly let my guard down. 

There was a knock on the door and it jolted me out of my thoughts. The door open revealing Arno coming in. A smile spread across my lips and he came over to my beside. He knelt down placing a kiss to my lips. A warming feeling spread through me as he asked, "Any improvement?"

"Only a little..." I answered softly.

He cupped my cheeks and murmured, "I know I said this a bunch of times, but I wish I had been there with you."

"You didn't know where I was. It could have turn out differently, but wishing isn't going to solve anything." I murmured to him while placing my hand on his. 

He let out a sigh, "I love you, Madeline."

"I love you too, Arno." I whispered.

He pressed his lips to mine again and I return his sweet gesture. I know I made him worry and I apologize greatly that I did, but it couldn't be help. I couldn't wait for him to rescue me. My father had other plans and that involved murdering me right then and there. It would have been too late for the both of us and I would have probably lost my life a lot sooner. It was a close called between us. A lot of things could have happened and it could have been for the better or for the worst. He pulled away slowly and I asked, "How is Julian getting along with the others?"

"He's totally a different person." Arno answered with a confused expression.

A soft chuckle escape from me and I agreed, "I have seen the difference. Did you see the difference in me?"

He gave me a smirk, "You know I do. One of the many reasons that I had fallen in love with you."

My cheeks grew warm and a silly smile came over my lips, "At least we choose the good side."

"Indeed, you guys did. I still don't trust him." Arno made an annoyed face.

Laughter flown out of my mouth, but it quickly died as pain erupted in my stomach. A groan escape from my lips and Arno spoke softly, "Don't laugh, dear."

"I'll try not to." I whispered. 

He gave a soft chuckle and stood up, "I have to get going, but I'll be back later."

I look up at him and nodded "Okay."

He smile more at me and nodded his head before turning around to leave. I watch him walk out of the room. He is worried about me and I'm slowly healing, but I'm more worried about the time that I had lost. A sigh escape from me and the door close behind him. Soon, I should be well and be able to get back on my feet. If only my father didn't injured me so severely, but I guess that was what he was aiming for. He was trying to take me out completely like my mother. Maybe, my mother sent that mysterious woman to me. I highly doubt it, but it is a miracle that I am alive.

*******************************************

More days have passed and finally, I was able to walk on my own two feet. The pain was still there, but not as much as now. Arno was thrilled to have me back in the bureau and Julian had taken me by surprise. I didn't recognized him in his assassin's clothes or the smile that was on his face. It was completely different seeing him like that. It was amazing. I was happy and at the same time, I was glad that he choose our side. It was one more up on Thomas and Nickolas. It was time for them to go down. It was time to face them. 

We were still trying to get information about their plans, but Julian didn't see anything at the ordinary. Arno reported the same thing as well. This was more terrifying then anything else that we had to face together. A sigh escape from me and I was sitting down on my bed. The whole month that I had been away and my room still looks the same. I feel completely different after being on the verge of death and knowing that my father is dead. It was all because of me. He murdered my mother on my sixteenth birthday. 

Why did he want me as his daughter again? Was everything that he had said was a lie? It's all confusing and his intentions were unknown to us. He had loved my mother, but he had to end her life because she pose a threat to the assassins. Templars and Assassins can never come to an understanding with each other. Thomas won't come to a understanding either and Nickolas won't either. Thomas wants power, but Nickolas wants something else. I don't know what he wants, but I guess we'll find out sooner than later. 

The corner of my eyes began to prick with the familiar feeling of tears welling up in the corner of my eyes. Why am I crying for someone that I had to get rid of? My heart squeeze painfully in my chest. Could I really wanted a father? Someone that was blood-tied to me. All I wanted was my mother back. She was the only one there for me and my father was nowhere to be found. He had found us and not the other way around. It was him. He had reached out, but only with the intention of falsely wanting to be my father. There was a knock on the door, jolting me out of my thoughts. 

Arno came into the room and I quickly look away from him. I wiped the corner of my eyes and heard his footsteps getting closer to me. The evidence of crying was obviously there on my face, but I was embarrassed to be caught. His hands gently grasped my shoulders and his lips press against my cheek. He whispered, "It's all right, dear."

I look over my shoulder at him slowly and my bottom lip started to tremble, but he place his lips on mine. Our lips intertwine with each other's slowly and the pain was seeping away. I raised my hands to his neck before wrapping my arms around him. He pulled away slowly and met my eyes, but didn't say anything. Our silence spoke louder than words could.

Comment, Vote!

Let me know what you guys think?!

Thank you!