59 || Congratulations

JUNGKOOK & DANBI

Danbi POV

"Your hair looks nice, Kookie. The new color looks really good on you."

Kookie still doesn't look at me. His eyes are focused on his rings as he fiddles with his fingers, a worried expression distorting his handsome features.

"Thank you, Danbi."

Once again we are silent. This isn't like us and we both know it, but neither of us wants to talk about the elephant in the room.

"There are some things I think we should discuss, but I'm not sure exactly where to start. So much has happened since I left to stay with my partner," he finally says with his eyes still on his hands.

"Have I disgusted you to the point you can no longer look me in the eyes?"

His brows furrow as he considers it. Almost reluctantly, his gaze lifts to my face and he breaks down in tears.

Covering his mouth with both hands, he weeps "How could you give yourself away so easily, Honeybee? That stranger was not supposed to have something so special."

"I agree."

Kookie gasps, his eyes widening. "Why would you do it then?"

"Because I was never thoroughly explained how connecting works. All I knew was that there was a.. throbbing.. a pain in my lady parts and I needed it to stop."

I pause my explanation to adjust the hem of my dress to my knees. Kookie doesn't say a word as he waits for me to continue.

"The man I met.. he showed me how doing it shouldn't be. Being with him put me in another kind of pain that I never want to experience again. When the urges returned, I thought that since you love me, you wouldn't cause the same kind of agony, but you rejected me. It hurt me in another way."

"I rejected you because the fates handmade a man for only your body and he can never hurt you. There is no way I could risk giving in to you for me to lose control and physically injure you. I couldn't live with myself."

He chews at his lower lip.

"You also didn't want to risk breaking your tether with your partner for me, did you?"

Kookie shakes his head side to side. "She is the only woman I know in that way, and I am happy with the fact my body is meant for one woman for my entire life. There's something beautiful in just that thought."

"You told me that before, and I couldn't wrap my head around it. I thought that since you loved me so much, you could will yourself to hear my call, and we could be partners as well."

He wipes his nose. "That's not how it works."

"I know that now. I found out that you have to be open to hearing a call first, and the man I met was not open to hearing me. He-"

I stop and clear my throat. Emotions ripple through my veins from the reminder of that horrid night and the trauma I endured afterwards.

"How bad did he hurt you, Danbi?"

I force a weak smile. "It doesn't matter. What's done is done."

"But you're still seeing him. That is where you have been staying isn't it?"

My mind drifts to Jimin and the memory of our bodies entangled in his blue cotton sheets every night and most days since leaving my and Kookie's apartment to apologize. My skin tingles reflecting on Jimin's touch and my nipples harden almost instantly.