Chapter 23 Respect

The box itself seemed to suck all of the energy inside the room, making itself the sole focus for everyone sitting around it.

Lan Zhan was very aware of the frightened Jins, the way their gaze skittered from the box to his husband, expecting him to be their saviour again, but here Wei WuXian was more than that. Legend made him immortal, yet he was that in his own right.

A powerful entity, not to be messed with, someone who had won wars for these ungrateful people, and yet they couldn't even bow properly towards him.

It was instances like this, the times when Wei Ying was not accorded the respect due to him, for his sacrifices through the years, for how much he helped these people yet they treated him so badly...this was what made Lan Zhan clutch Bichen tighter, made him want to lash out at the unfairness of it all.

Outsiders always wanted something from him, using him, using his skills and his talents...and for such a selfless man who had no limits to giving, the same was true for the takers who didn't care, would take and take if it was offered.

Wei Ying never worried about what others thought of him, but he was sensitive to whomever it affected other than himself; it was the only reason he had come here at all.

Fully aware of the fact that his decision whether to attend or not would strain the tenuous relationship between the clans, and despite having the full support of his clan and Elders, Wei Ying had once again chosen to help.

Lan Zhan loved him fiercely for this trait alone, but it was one of the many sides, layers and depths to what made up the whole of him.

Wei Ying looked at the puzzle box for a while, two questions in his mind which he needed answers to, before he would tackle the box itself.

An irritated cough from across the table, brought him out of his thoughts.

"So? Are you going to help? Or not?" Jin Bendan asked, his voice an annoying tic.

At the same time, Jiang Cheng reached out as if to touch the box and Wei Ying was faster, grabbing his hand. He shook his head almost imperceptibly.

"It depends wholly on you." Wei Ying replied, calmer once Jiang Cheng sat back, well back from the table.

"What do you mean?" Jin Bendan slammed his hand down on the table.

The Elders began to mumble amongst themselves.

"I have two questions I need you to answer. And depending on what you tell me, will I decide on whether to help or not." Wei Ying maintained his voice, keeping it even and under control.

"Just admit it, you're too much of a coward to open that!"

The words were barely out of his mouth and Bichen flew out of its scabbard, just missing his throat, and that was only because of the quick thinking of his neighbour.

"Retract that statement." Lan Zhan said, standing up.

Jin Bendan was still shaking as Bichen returned to its owner.

Someone pushed him from behind, and he muttered an apology.

Wei Ying was too concerned about the state of Lan Zhan, who was vibrating with anger. He too, stood up, placing a hand on his shoulder. He angled his body away from those across the table, his other hand reaching out to touch Lan Zhan's.

"My love... this...this isn't worth your rage. None of this is."

Lan Zhan met those earnest silver eyes, desperate for him to calm down. His touch alone went a long way to restoring his temperament, but he couldn't just let that go.