Chapter 128 Dwellings

Wei Ying happily watched his children running in front of them...until they got to the mouth of the cave.

Even from far away, its size was impressive, and up close, terrifying in its length and width. Deep inside the cave, a dark blackness ripe with something greeted them. They all felt as if this cave was filled with a presence, an energy that was alive, not static.

Lan Zhan and Wei Ying caught up to Hui Gai, who was now holding the hands of both of their children.

"So when you said you had incapacitated them...we need more information." Wei Ying decided, looking at Hui Gai expectantly.

Hui Gai wished he wasn't holding tiny hands and was holding his tail instead. Something about those silver gray eyes were unconsciously demanding the truth, and he didn't really want to say.

He could have vanished, but Wei Ying had already said he wouldn't be angry...so maybe it would be okay.

"What do you want to know?" He asked, looking at his own feet.

Li XiWang sensed his discomfort and squeezed his hand. It was not her place to say anything here, but Hui Gai was as much hers as she was his, and anything that made him feel bad made her feel the same too.

Rumi just watched both of them with interest. Most of the time he understood what was going on more than what he let on, but he had figured out that by remaining quiet, he could learn a whole lot more, especially if the adults were not paying him any attention.

"How many giants are in there?" Wei Ying waited, tapping his foot impatiently when Hui Gai did not answer immediately.

"Rough guess?" Hui Gai asked.

"For now. Though I'm not above you going in there and finding out more about them." He lowered his voice so Dunshi would not overhear them, and feel upset. "The thing is, we know Dunshi and after all this time travelling with us, he knows us too...but we can't be sure of what kind of welcome we'll find. Both for us and even Dunshi. So I'm just covering our bases, here." Wei Ying explained, not just to Hui Gai and Lan Zhan, but also their children and Hongse.

Dunshi was a little way away, his hand on the rock that jutted out from the mouth of the cave. Xiao Zei was right next to him, perched on his shoulder. Master Dashi and the other three Flowers of Venus were waiting patiently for them to give the all clear, so they could enter.

There was already a strange scent wafting out of the cave, a kind of stale sweat mixed with stale cooking...and something chemical...but what it could be was still a mystery.

"Alright rough estimate is around three hundred...but the chances of there being more is significant." Hui Gai licked his red lips.

"Three hundred?" Wei Ying repeated, incredulously. "How big is that place?"

"Big." Hui Gai said. "I sensed levels, but it was dark, and no one noticed me."

Wei Ying shrugged but stored away the information carefully.

"I guess we can't delay any longer. Besides, Dunshi missed his mother...it would be nice if they could meet sooner rather than later."

Wei Ying turned to Lan Zhan.

"My love, I want to fly up to Dunshi and speak with him before we go inside."

"How is Wei Ying feeling?" There was underlying concern, although Lan Zhan didn't say no. He quickly took Wei Ying’s pulse, checking for the umpteenth time and discovering nothing.

"I'm okay, I think. Besides, it's a great way to see if I can fly." He smiled tentatively at Lan Zhan, who was watching him like a short-sighted tailor threading his needle.

"Alright. But if Wei Ying feels tired -"

"I know, my love. I'll come straight down." Wei Ying kissed his cheek lovingly.

His wings felt stiffer than normal, but they seemed still able to take his weight, and Wei Ying felt instinctively as if this was the right course of action to help himself. He unfurled them carefully and stretched them out, testing their strength.

They seemed normal enough, and more delaying was only worrying Lan Zhan, who looked like he was about to revoke his permission. So Wei Ying flapped those wings as normally as he could.

It was tougher than before... and he could tell that his own strength was slightly diminished. Staying up there for a long time wasn't a good idea, but then, as he didn't need to pass on a long message, it would be okay.

Ignoring the way his muscles cramped almost immediately, something new for him and to add to the list of symptoms he was paying close attention to, Wei Ying flew up high to hover close to Dunshi's face.

"Let's go inside. Please introduce us to your family." He said.

Dunshi bowed and held out his hand. Wei Ying landed in the centre of his palm, and he was put down as gently as possible. He was tired, and it was only frustration that made him put one foot in front of the other.

Lan Zhan knew.

How could Wei Ying think he wouldn't be able to tell?

As discreetly as he could, Lan Zhan kept his arm around Wei Ying's waist, encouraging him to lean on Lan Zhan more should he need to. Lan Zhan had always watched Wei Ying it seemed, from the first moment at the gates of Cloud Recesses, and now, his eyes were inexplicably drawn to this beautiful man, like two magnets.

The pull was so strong, it was Lan Zhan who felt such relief once his eyes caressed the form of Wei Ying, as if his eyes were made only for drinking him in.

So when Wei Ying sagged against his side, Lan Zhan knew the flight had sapped what little strength Wei Ying was using these days, and Lan Zhan knew he would not want to show any weakness right now, not when they were going to meet new people.

So he used his famous Lan arm strength and lifted Wei Ying just centimetres from the ground and carried him like that; to all observing, it looked like Wei Ying was walking normally.

Wei Ying was trying his hardest not to tremble with effort and as Lan Zhan lifted him and walked forward, he let his body relax a little bit.

Thank you my love. His voice sounded loud and clear in Lan Zhan’s mind. I didn't want the children to worry. I guess flying is not a good idea right now.

Mn. Do you know why it is happening? And why now? Do you feel any differently when it happens?

No...to all of those questions. And I wish I knew...

There was no more time to talk now because they had entered the cave.