Chapter 33 Arrangements

Wei Ying woke up suddenly. He lay there trying to calm his mind and his heart, wondering what could have woken him up. Closing his eyes, he reached out his awareness so he could hear anything untoward...but there was nothing.

Just the even breathing of Lan Zhan still sleeping. Wei Ying snuggled closer, and even while unconscious, Lan Zhan pulled him nearer, a soft sigh of contentment slipping from his lips.

Moments like this when Wei Ying was free to enjoy just being safe...it felt wonderful. There were times when he couldn't quite believe this was his life now, that he was married to the most handsome man in the world, and not only that, the fact that the Cultivation world wasn't still braying for his death.

So much time had passed by, in between his past life and the one he was living now, and so much had changed, but Lan Zhan was the only constant.

Even this place, Koi Tower, where Lan Zhan had forsaken every single other person in his, Wei Ying's favour, willing to stand in between him and certain death, time and time again. Then, his body had been weaker and cause for concern. But throughout everything they had been through, Lan Zhan didn't care.

"Why is Wei Ying awake? Bad dream?" The deep and welcome voice of his husband roused him from his thoughts.

"No, I'm alright." Wei Ying reached up to kiss under his jaw.

"Sleep more." Lan Zhan began humming their song and Wei Ying felt his eyelids getting heavier.

For a while, Lan Zhan enjoyed the comfortable weight of this beautiful man in his arms, still alive. The joy he felt whenever he listened to Wei Ying's heart beating was indescribable, both a balm to his soul and a relief. Carefully so as not to disturb his slumber, Lan Zhan threaded his fingers through the soft waterfall of ebony hair, stroking it gently.

Wei Ying.

His whole being centred around this soul, the other part of himself. And with that thought, he too, closed his eyes and rested.

***********

Eleven o'clock arrived too soon for everyone, as they met outside the Great Hall. Tables and places were set when they entered, the Jin Sect Elders on one side and Wei Ying, Lan Zhan and their family, plus XiChen and Jiang Cheng on the other. SiZhui and Jin Ling had to sit with their Elders and both of them smiled apologetically.

"This is going to be a circus." Jiang Cheng muttered under his breath.

"Absolutely." Wei Ying agreed, taking a sip of his green tea.

It was just as bitter as the expressions on their counterparts. He smirked at the comparison in his mind.

XiChen reached out to hold Jiang Cheng's hand under the table. They were going to need all their patience and his diplomacy to last through this meeting.

"Thank you for your assistance in dealing with the strange substance." One of the Elders began. "If you would like to return to Gusu at your convenience then we wish you safe travels."

Wei Ying grinned at Jiang Cheng, toasting his tea cup with his own.

"Gosh, I feel so used." He sighed dramatically.

"Yeah, like I have to wash this slime off...again." Jiang Cheng put his cup down.

"The Jin Sect is known for it's hospitality. And we only just got here." XiChen bowed the minimum height.

"And I could do with a holiday." Wei Ying added, beaming at the Elders who looked like they had swallowed a cockroach.

"Yeah, JinLinTai is lovely this time of year." Jiang Cheng said. "That reminds me, have you ever visited around harvest time? They have a specific festival right about now. When is it?" He directed his question to Jin Ling.

"Zhongqiu jie. It's next week." Jin Ling replied, a little too loudly, enjoying himself far too much.

"There will be dragon dances, carnival type festivities and moon cakes." Jiang Cheng went on.

"Really?" Wei Ying squealed with excitement. "I love moon cakes."

Next to him, Lan Zhan was taking notes.

"Then it's decided. We will stay until after the Festival. Uncle will be so happy." XiChen said, beaming. Diplomacy was so much fun when your family got involved.

"Really? Why?" Jiang Cheng asked, giving him a big wink.

"He says I've been working too hard. He'll be so glad to hear about our vacation." XiChen squeezed his hand, trying to keep a straight face.

Wei Ying was having just as hard a time.

"Got any tips for us?" He asked the Elders, who by now were looking horrified. "Any hidden gems, out of the way places for us to visit....like that?"

"The masters should entertain themselves as they best see fit." They left in a huff.

"Well...that went well." Wei Ying burst out laughing when he caught Jiang Cheng's eye.

"I bet that's the last thing they thought we'd do." Jiang Cheng was still laughing.

"They may not invite us for a long time after this." XiChen said.

"That's why I intend to take advantage of that and explore their library today, before they figure out why we're really staying. They're going to think we're crazy. First, they couldn't make us come and now they can't make us leave." Wei Ying giggled.

He looked over to Lan Zhan who was staring at him with cow eyes.

"Favourite sound." He explained.

Wei Ying cupped his face.

"Could you get any sweeter? I love you, my Lan Zhan." He kissed him gently.

"Let's make a start then." Jiang Cheng stood up.

"Jin Ling, is the library empty right now?" Wei Ying asked, innocently.

"Pretty much." The boy nodded.

"Come on, Lan Zhan. There's so much to "research"." Wei Ying waggled his eyebrows suggestively.

"Ew." Jiang Cheng shoved him. "We're coming too, and you better keep your hands to yourself."

"Jiang Cheng! You're no fun!" Wei Ying jumped onto his back, cackling.

"Maybe I should draw a salt circle around myself." Jiang Cheng drawled, dryly.

"Demons aren't that bad, you know!" Wei Ying chuckled.

"They're better than you!" Jiang Cheng shook him off.

Wei Ying waited for Lan Zhan.

"Look, he's bullying me."

Lan Zhan unsheathed Bichen and Wei Ying had to physically hold him back.

"Kidding!! Jeez...you Lan brothers..."