Chapter 67 Plots

Wei Ying had already worked out that the King would blame his brother, but he tried to look shocked in a believable way.

"Why would your brother want to harm your Highness' consort?" He asked, putting a blue pea into his mouth.

"I don't know how much you know, but perhaps I should explain a few things to you. My brother and I found this Oasis together. We were in search of our fortune, and decided to traverse the desert together. It so happened that when we discovered this place, we had the foresight to turn it into something profitable." The King told him, proudly.

"You've done a great job, as far as I can see." Wei Ying said, conversationally.

The King smiled broadly at him, with a return of good spirits.

"I like to think so."

"But forgive my impertinence, your Highness, may I ask a question which will provoke your ire? It is the last thing I want, to upset such a gracious host. You have been more than kind." Wei Ying was really glad it was himself here talking to the King because there was no way Lan Zhan would have been able to lie like this.

"Come now, I like to think we have gone beyond such formality." The King smiled again.

To Wei Ying, it was appearing more and more creepy.

"My curiosity will not let my mind rest, and I am a slave to my thoughts, I fear." Wei Ying smiled to cover his ridiculous language, he thought, but if one wanted something, there were other means to getting it rather than violence.

"Ask away. If we are friends, let there be no false hierarchy between us, and," he winked, "I am not so proud as to let a harmless question turn my good humour into something else. Ask, friend, ask."

Wei Ying wanted a bath. There was something in the way he leaned close and spoke, a sliminess that he could not explain the reason for, and he hated it. It reminded him of the times he had to sit through boring cultivation conferences and be quiet while others whispered about the Yiling Patriarch and the threat he represented. Afterwards, he was always filled with a sense of unease, as if he had somehow been contaminated by their sly looks and bad mouthing of him.

He swallowed hard, choking back the terrible memories.

Is Wei Ying alright?

I'm okay, Lan Zhan. He's just a bit weird, that's all.

Mn. If Wei Ying wants to leave, he can say.

Lan Zhan, I love you so much right now. But it's okay...there must be a reason why we're here... let's see...

"Ask." The King was saying, now a little impatient.

"Ah...I was just wondering, if the two of you found this place together, he must be the younger brother... because your Highness became King?" Wei Ying tried to word it in the least offensive way.

"You are correct." The King preened, tearing another leg from his plate.

Wei Ying looked away quickly, thinking about Xiao Mao.

"I am the older brother, and the royal throne has only enough space for one person."

One arse, Wei Ying thought with a perverse satisfaction, and it was a mighty shame he could not say it out loud.

Arse? Who's arse?

No one...this does not concern you. Wei Ying thought loudly... He could see Lan Zhan's smirk from the corner of his eye, and worked harder to keep his attention on the King.

"But my King should forgive this one's curious nature...I have another question." Wei Ying absolutely hated this roundabout way of asking for the truth.

"As I explained, friend, ask away."

Oh Gods, was that a tail between his teeth?? Wei Ying quickly looked away.

"Alright, I wanted to know, if the agreement that you would be king was amicable, then why is there the threat of war? Why the dissatisfaction from your junior?"

If they were playing a part, Wei Ying had to feign innocence to be believed.

"That my friend, is not conversation for the dinner table. It is a distasteful matter." The King paused his mauling to stare sternly at him.

"Of course, of course! As I explained, I didn't want to cause the King any upset." Wei Ying apologized quickly.

"How old are your children?" The King asked, suddenly.

"Too young!" Wei Ying tried to laugh it off. "They have both suffered greatly up till now, so we are reluctant to let them out of our sight."

"My point exactly! My friend, I wish to make a proposition to you. And your friend." The King mustered up a fake smile.

"Husband." Wei Ying corrected him, with ease.

"Yes, yes." The King waved a hand as though it didn't matter. "I was wondering, because you know how difficult it is to travel with children, I thought you might want to leave them here, with us."

A murderous king? Not likely, Wei Ying thought.

"I'm afraid that's impossible." He replied with a frosty smile.

"Think about it, it makes sense." He insisted. "You can collect them on your way back."

"Actually, they're the reason we're going." Wei Ying lied smoothly. "If you have children of your own, you must know, they don't like being away from their parents."

"Parents?" He raised a brow, looking at both of them. "But...but you both are..."

"Their parents."

Lan Zhan's voice echoed across the emptiness of the hall, his tone not at all friendly.

Wei Ying smiled in relief at him, grateful this time for his intervention.

"Of course you are." The King replied in a fake jovial voice. "As for the second part of your statement, my Queen and I do not have any children."

"Ah, then I'm sorry for that." Wei Ying genuinely felt sorry for them.

"Which is why we hoped you would let us borrow yours." He laughed quickly, holding his hand up to stop Wei Ying's angry protest. "I am joking, of course."

"That's not funny." Lan Zhan told him.

"Well, I don't mean to suggest anything inappropriate." The King backed off.

But Wei Ying realised something in that moment. He remembered the King staring at his children when they first met, that hungry look in his eyes.

And everything suddenly made sense, like a jigsaw puzzle, all the pieces falling into place.

They were interrupted by the servants bringing their dessert, blue sponge cake with blueberries and ice cream.

But Wei Ying was finding it hard to swallow. He wanted nothing more than to leave, as quickly as possible.

An uncomfortable silence fell upon them, only the sounds of spoons hitting the sides of the bowls was heard from the children.