Chapter 94 Hidden

Wei Ying woke up a few hours later.

Lan Zhan was sitting cross-legged right next to him, in meditation, with Wei Ying's head resting in his lap.

He turned his face to Lan Zhan's stomach, hugging him.

He still felt raw, and it helped that Lan Zhan began running his fingers through Wei Ying's hair.

The action served to soothe his frayed emotions and calmed him.

Lan Zhan was just glad that he looked better than before, though his eyes were still bloodshot and red-rimmed.

The familiar sandalwood fragrance also helped and Wei Ying could relax properly.

"How does Wei Ying feel now?" Lan Zhan asked quiety.

"Hungry." He decided, eliciting a huff of laughter.

"Hongse has started breakfast preparation outside." Lan Zhan helped Wei Ying sit up.

He pulled out a spotless white handkerchief and blew hot air into a ball of it, and pressed it against Wei Ying's eyes, one at a time.

"That feels so good." Wei Ying held onto his wrists, gathering strength from just the simple touch.

His silver eyes opened to stare deeply into golden ones.

There was no need for any more words.

The scent of fresh hot congee hit them first, before Hongse pressed bowls into their hands.

And then she bowed.

"What are you doing?" Wei Ying asked her, beginning to feel distressed already.

"I must apologize. My questions earlier were insensitive and should not have been voiced. I should not have asked you anything, and I wish nothing but the best of days for you both."

Her blue eyes shone with unshed tears.

Wei Ying out his bowl on the floor.

"Hongse, you are like a sister to me. Please do not let this weigh upon your mind. We are alright, and maybe...maybe we both needed to say things that were deep within our hearts." Wei Ying made her stand properly. "No need for sorry."

"You are too kind." She looked at Lan Zhan. "I definitely thought I'd be raked over hot coals for making you cry."

There was a flicker of amusement in Lan Zhan's eyes; if he agreed with that, he stayed silent.

Wei Ying laughed awkwardly, because there was no guarantee he still wouldn't.

"Thanks for making our food. Not just today, but for all the times you've cooked for us." Wei Ying beamed at her even as Lan Zhan passed him a bottle of chilli oil.

He grinned sheepishly and dumped a whole load over his food.

Hongbaoshi entered the barn, keeping her voice low.

"The village elder has come with others to meet you."

"Wei Ying will come after he has eaten." Lan Zhan told her sternly.

"Of course." She returned outside.

"Lan Zhan... isn't that a bit shameless? This is their barn, after all." Wei Ying whispered.

"Wei Ying helped them already. For free. One should not be disturbed during mealtimes." His golden eyes were determined.

"Fine." Wei Ying scarfed down his congee in record time though.

When Lan Zhan gave him a disapproving look, he grinned and shrugged.

"It's soft. Swallowing is easy."

Lan Zhan wiped their mouths and stood up with him.

Outside, five men stood behind the elder they had spoken to in the early hours of the morning, and they all bowed.

"We wish to thank you." He said.

"Maybe you should hear me out, first." Wei Ying told them, bowing back.

"But we can already feel a change in the air. Something has happened, and it is good. The air feels lighter, cleaner." He looked behind him and the others murmured their approval.

"You said the ones who had passed away in untimely deaths were farmers, right?" Wei Ying continued.

"Yes." They nodded.

"They told us to tell you, they have hidden something that should be useful to you now, in your time of need. They wanted you to know, and that's why they refused to leave. When times were good, and crop was abundant, they saved money I think, or something of value, and buried it in the south-west corner of the field that lies to east of this barn. You should dig there, under a black stone that has no business being there."

They bowed deeply.

"We shall do as you say." They bowed again. "Will you stay? We would be grateful if you can."

"On the contrary, it is us who should be grateful, grandfather." Wei Ying hurriedly said. "There are reasons why we don't like to travel by day, and you have helped us greatly by providing shelter. We will leave this evening if that's alright with you."

"That is fine. We would also like your advice if we do not understand what we find." The elder was looking dubious.

"Sure, we would be happy to help." Wei Ying agreed.

"Then we shall return this afternoon." The elder promised and then they left.

"Does Wei Ying feel tired?" Lan Zhan asked, once they were alone.

"Not at all." Wei Ying turned to him. "But my love, I bet you're tired. Why don't you rest? I can play something for you, if you like?"

"Mn. Would like to sleep out here." He admitted.

"I take requests!" Wei Ying grinned at him.

"Our song." He said, straight away.

"Then come, my love. Lay down here."

The hay bale from the morning looked inviting, and it was big enough that when Wei Ying sat, Lan Zhan could lie with his head in his lap comfortably.

He pulled out Chenqing and began to play.

This haunting melody, created by Lan Zhan from the time they studied together, was immortal in how the notes came together. All of Lan Zhan's hopes and dreams, his hidden desires, the wishes he could not voice then, reflected in each note.

The result was a song full of yearning, need and want, for something that seemed just out of reach.

If only the both of them had been so much braver...Wei Ying couldn't help but think.

That time had been simpler, easier, even if his punishment was harder.

When he played slower, he looked down and saw Lan Zhan was asleep.

He had sat awake while Wei Ying had slept, and it had not gone unnoticed by him...he could only hope that Lan Zhan would feel better upon waking.

Hours later, he stirred and sat up immediately, putting his hand on Chenqing.

"Wei Ying has been playing all this time?" He sounded horrified.

Wei Ying put Chenqing down, tucking it into his waist band and kissed him softly.

"It's fine, my love. It was something to do, otherwise I would have been bored."

Lan Zhan looked at him doubtfully, but Wei Ying was smiling so brightly at him, he didn't know what to think.

A commotion to their left had both of them looking towards it.

The elder had returned, but this time, it seemed that whole village had turned out. Four strong young men were carrying a metal chest on a palanquin.

"Look what we found!" The elder exclaimed.