Ch 57

I held a piece of paper in my hands. The edges were burnt, and it was much smaller than when it was given to me. Ace's vivre card...

Lola had explained the importance of the piece of paper that Ace had given us. She even gave us her moms, for when we get to the New World. But when we showed her ours, she warned us that his life force was dangerously close to fading away.

I pursed my lips, and my eyebrows were furrowed at the edges that gradually burnt away.

Luffy decided that we wouldn't take a detour to see him. Ace wouldn't have wanted that, to be saved by his little brothers crew during a point when he's weak. And I understood, I really did, but it's not going to stop me from worrying.

"If Luffy had a vivre card like that, can you imagine how many times it would have gotten to that point?" Nami made a very good point.

It's probably nothing, Ace is a pirate commander under Whitebeard. Of course he'd have to put his life on the line many times, but just like Luffy, he'll be able to pull through, right? He had to, I couldn't lose him.

"Hana!" I glanced up as I felt their shock. "Your teeth!"

Confusion, and then panic crossed my features. My hand covered the fangs that were fully extended, because of Ace?! I didn't even realize the energy had gathered there, but now that I had, I realized that they were throbbing rather painfully.

I disappeared into my realm and threw myself into the pond. The cold waters brought clarity to the whirls of distraught clouding my mind. I held my breath and focused on my energy. It was harder, maybe since they had fully extended already?

I gasped as I resurfaced, swallowing lung-fulls of air. I crawled out and I could barely feel the scales of my friends pressed against me. That was bad...how easy it was to lose control. I poked at the sharp points, feeling relief when I realized they were back down.

I groaned. Just what the hell did that mean?! Ace is my brother, ya know?! I shouted mentally.

My lips turned downward, how do I explain this to them now? 'By the way guys, one wrong move with these new bad boys could make you mine forever! So be careful!' I snorted at the thought, getting some weird looks from my dragons.

"Oh shut it, I'm having a crisis here."

They simply laid back down, allowing me to continue.

I stared at the vivre card again, making sure to pay attention to my teeth this time. You better be okay, dumb-fire-idiot.

I got up to put the piece of paper away. I took one of the picture frames off my wall and emptied it. I put the card in there and hung it back up. Now I can keep an eye on it whenever I come in here.

I let out a deep breath before going back out. I left the portal open for the dragons. Everyone had previously dispersed around the ship, but gathered back on deck to join me.

"They're small again," Luffy said in disappointment.

"Yeah...they do that." I said.

"Is that a new weapon or something?" Usopp asked. "You could probably rip out of a few throats." I almost gagged at the thought.

"Ah!" Chopper backed away, "scary!"

"You're so stupid, Usopp, Chopper," Luffy said. "Hana's not gonna go biting everyone." He turned to me with a grin, "just us, right?"

I stared at him a little shocked that he was able to figure that out.

"He's right?!" Nami shouted after seeing my expression. She backed away a little bit, causing me to frown.