Chapter 31

Jungkook stared at the ceiling as he pondered what to do. Take some rest. It sounded so easy, but he couldn't commit to it. Not while he was still unsure of what happened to his own body.

Looking the way he did right now, it wouldn't be easy to find his bandmates. Security might perceive him as a fan, disabling him to get in the vicinity of the group.

I need a way to get in.

How could he get in touch with her? The girl he assumed had traded places with him. "I should call her." But how?

He looked around to see if there was a phone anywhere, but no such luck. Sighing, he laid back down again. He wouldn't even know which number to dial. They had changed phone numbers so many times, that Jungkook had lost count. Besides, who would've thought they would ever need to call their own mobile phone?

"But I should have a phone with me, nonetheless," he muttered. "Perhaps she'll have the same idea and decides to call her phone number."

Just then the door opened and his friend walked in. "You're not sleeping?"

Jungkook shrugged. "I couldn't. I don't sleep well in hospitals."

"Well, that's new to me," the woman laughed. "For as long as I know you, you've been able to sleep everywhere and anywhere."

Jungkook's cheeks burned up. "Well, I guess things changed."

She waved dismissively. "I'm just teasing you." She sat down on the chair next to his bed. "How did the tests go?"

"I don't know."

That made her raise an eyebrow. "Why not?"

"It's just..." He took a deep breath. "I don't know how to explain it, but it's like I have to figure out how this body works again. In my mind, I was a lot fitter."

"Ah." She nodded knowingly. "I guess it makes sense that your body is more tired now. I mean, your heart has gone through quite the ordeal and so naturally, you'll feel less fit than you are."

"I am fit?"

She nodded. "As fit as you can be. You exercise three times a week with a personal trainer." Her voice trailed off. "Did you forget?"

Jungkook quickly shook his head. "No, I mean, I remember yes." Deciding it was best to change the subject, he leaned forward. "I wanted to ask you... I was looking for my phone, but it's not here. Do you know where it is?"

She nodded. "It's back at the hotel."

"Why?"

She tilted her head. "Because you didn't seem to need it, given the fact that you were unconscious for three days," she retorted. "Are you really going to give me an attitude because I didn't bring your phone here?"

"I'm sorry!" Jungkook held up his hands. "I didn't mean to sound disrespectful. I just thought about it once I came back from the tests and you weren't here. I didn't have a way to reach you..."

"Oh." She rubbed her eyes. "I'm sorry, too. I shouldn't have lashed out. I'm just tired okay?"

"Perhaps you need to get some rest." Jungkook winked at her, but the look she gave him made it clear that wasn't something her friend had done before. Pouting his lips, Jungkook lowered his eyes away from her gaze.

"I'll make sure to bring your phone next time, okay?"

He nodded slowly.

The silence between them felt uncomfortable. Jungkook knew this woman was supposed to be his friend, or at least, of the woman whose body he was inhabiting. But he didn't feel that same way about her. He was still adjusting to the fact that their interaction had to be so friendly and casual when he didn't even know her yet.