Lots of Thoughts

Sirius Black now had made the decision, the headmaster of the school loathed him... Albus Dumbledore had something against him. Otherwise, why would someone leave him with Filch to torment him.

He had been in the trophy room for hours and Filch was still not satisfied by his work. It's not like he worked so often; he absolutely didn't know how to clean things. At his home, house elves did that.

And then this damn trophy... it didn't show any signs of getting cleaned soon.

Tom Riddle, Special Award for Services for the School.

Now... who the hell would require a trophy like that? It was out of his comprehension.

"Return to your work boy. Dawdle, and successfully achieve one more detention." Came a voice, definitely Filch's.

"Yeah... I am doing it" Sirius replied exasperated.

*Page Break*

"Psst... Psst, Padfoot, are you there?"

The mirror's reflective side went from black to foggy and the effortlessly handsome face of Sirius Black came into view.

"Yeah, mate" he grinned.

"Well... everything fine there? Filch not giving you a hard time, is he?"

"Don't ask Jamie, he is being absurd till any levels, has already asked me to wash the same trophy 14 times, and I am not exaggerating"

"Then we need to keep a prank ready, don't we?" James said giving a wicked smirk.

"Of course," Sirius said mirroring the smirk.

"At least, Sluggie is better. He just asked me to clean the potion shelves in the lab and now I am cleaning the book shelves in his office. I thought he will- wait, wait, wait, Padfoot just a minute"

"What is it, Prongs?" he asked with concern.

James had suddenly come across a book with a black strip at the side of it. He had seen this mark before too, but where? Yes, the place he had ventured all too much. The Restricted Section of the Library. But why would Slughorn keep a book from the restricted section here? And it wasn't even kept recently, judging by the layer of dust on it.

"Nothing, Padfoot, just a book from the restricted section"

"What's it called, perhaps, can help us with the prank?"

"It's- Secrets of Darkest Arts, something only Snivelly will read"

"No doubts there, mate" Sirius said shrinking his nose in disgust. "Hey, Prongs, Filch is back, I have to go"

"Yeah..." James said distractedly, his eyes fixed on the book in his hand. He kept the mirror aside and took the book in both his hands. It felt heavier than it looked... something calling... something in need... something beautiful... something seductive.

Without having any will to do so, James opened the book to a random page.

'Horcruxes', he mouthed it.

'The path to make your soul immortal can only be achieved by separating that from a mortal's body. Murder. It will divide the soul of the taker of life into another part and must be stored in an object. The object in itself will stay as a different entity. Another part of you. It will be possible by the spell-'

James hurriedly closed the book, horror-struck. The book was dark, it was evil. Why the hell did he even start reading it? He sunk to the floor his head in his hands, panting. The dark arts were not only used to destroy others, it also tainted the one reading it, it tainted the very soul of the reader.