42 ⁘ Threats

oh! what an ominous title, I wonder what's going to happen

42 

Hayoon had tears in her eyes. A genuine shimmer that glistened in the bright light inside the bustling coffee shop they were at. 

She held her hand in front of her mouth as one tiny sob slipped past her lips. 

"I am so proud of you," she whispered. 

Da-eun looked at her blankly. "Please stop."

"I raised you so well," she continued rather than doing as requested and stopping. She put her hand down flat onto the table as she said, "That's what I always keep telling you: take the initiative. If you want it, then get it!"

"You literally never said--"

Hayoon let out a heart-filled exhale as she wiped imaginary tears off her cheeks. 

"Your dad, Juwon, and I are so proud," she told her. "I just want you to know that. And I also want you to know that, yes, we approve of your relationship." 

Da-eun nodded, understanding that there was no way for her to get out of this except by playing along. And so she took Hayoon's hand in hers, lips quivering a little as a wave of pure emotions came rushing down on her. 

"Thanks mom." 

"I got you kid." 

"The fuck are you guys doing?" Juwon questioned as he came back, not surprised enough by their interaction to be weirded out but still curious about it.

He merely slid the tray he had brought back from the counter onto the table and told everyone which beverage on it was theirs. 

"I am telling her how proud we are," Hayoon informed him. 

Understanding quickly, Juwon nodded. He put a hand on Da-eun's shoulder. 

"But if he breaks your heart, let me know. In this household, we have a rule for such an occasion." 

Should she ask? Should she not? 

Da-eun considered it for a second before curiosity got the best of her.

"What rule?" 

"If he breaks your heart..." Juwon began, before handing it over to Hayoon who finished by saying, 

"...we break his bones." 

The two grinned, very happy and very content with their rule. Da-eun, slightly worried for Chenle's safety, just smiled a bit forced. 

"Great rule." 

"Whose bones are we breaking?" Hae-in asked as he sat down next to Da-eun. 

"At the moment, no one's," Hayoon assured yet added, "but time will tell." 

"He is literally the sweetest person I ever met," Da-eun noted.

Hayoon agreed. From what she could tell and from the patience he showed during both of their drunk encounters, he was a genuinely good guy. 

Still, she remained cautious since,

"No one is good enough for you."

Juwon nodded. "I agree."

"I agree too," Hae-in said happily.

His joyful comment came as a surprise yet it went to show how much he liked the girl. He even passed up the opportunity to sit next to Juwon just so that he could sit next to Da-eun.