44 ⁘ Gamble

I am crying look at him

44 

Busy cooking, Chenle almost didn't hear the phone buzzing next to him. 

"Eun!" he shouted. "Someone's calling you!" 

"Who is it?" she shouted back. 

"Uh..." 

Incoming call from hehe~

"Hehe?" he asked more than he stated. 

Right away, the girl came into the kitchen to get her phone and answer the call. 

"Wait, wait, wait, I want to hear everything but give me a second," Da-eun said to the person on the other end of the call. She turned to Chenle, glimpsed at the food briefly. "When's dinner ready?"

"Not sure? Half an hour?" Chenle guessed which was enough for the girl to give him a thumbs up and run away so she could talk to her friend in peace. 

Meanwhile, he continued cooking, hearing the girl's voice in the background, getting louder and quieter according to her level of excitement. It was fun to listen to, even though he had no idea what was going on. 

However, after a few minutes, the call ended and through the house echoed a loud,  

"CHENLE!" 

Excitedly, Da-eun stormed into the kitchen. The boy turned around so he was facing her. 

Wide smile, she ran up to him, rested her underarms on his shoulders and linked her fingers behind his head. Her excitement made him smile too.  

"What is it?" he asked curiously. 

"Something really great happened," she told him yet before she got to explain any details, she looked past Chenle and into the pot behind him. "Is the food ready?"

"Pretty much."

She took a step back. "Then let's talk while we eat." 

Chenle agreed and finished up dinner ere placing it on the table. He filled up Da-eun's bowl first and then his own. 

"So, tell me," he said, "what happened?" 

Reacting quickly, Da-eun put her cutlery aside even before taking a single bite and looked at Chenle with a happy shimmer in her eyes. 

"Just now Hae-in called," she told him. 

"The... friend and former co-worker?"

She nodded, content to hear that he remembered. "So the friends that I met yesterday were Juwon, Hayoon and Hae-in. But Hayoon and I left early to give Juwon and Hae-in some space, you know?" 

Chenle nodded along, listening closely to every word she said. Her excited smile, her lively gestures, her eyes that were constantly moving from him to her hands to the food in front of her and to random spots on the walls and cupboards. 

All of this captivated him in a way that made it impossible for him to not get lost in her. 

"I asked Hae-in to keep me up to date with everything," she told him. "And he didn't want to call yesterday cause apparently it got too late- IT GOT LATE, CHENLE!" 

Startled yet Chenle had to laugh at her excitement. He nodded towards the food and urged her to take a bite before continuing - which she did. 

"Bro, I can't believe that- oh, this tastes really good! Thanks for the food~" she said, jumping from topic to topic which made it a bit harder to follow what she was saying.